How the hell do I share ammo?

Within a regular infantry squad that is... is it possible? I read the manual on how to do it with MG teams and such... but is it possible to share ammo between just two regular infantry squads in the same platoon?

Similar question, why can't I simply have units that don't belong together share ammo?

When I set up my 60mm mortars with the ammo carriers I had ammo carriers switched, ie. Mortar A and Ammo Carrier B. They didn't share ammo, so I had to switch them around.

There's a difference betwen 'acquiring' ammo and 'sharing' ammo. If your depleted Bazooka team, for instance, stands close to another unit carrying zook round he will start firing again and the adjacent units ammo count will drop.

Ammo carriers act a little different especially at setup. The ammo doesn't get disbursed from the parent unit until after you first hit GO. That way you don't need to go clicking among units to add up the total ammo count. After the game's under way you should (I think) be able to scamper your ammo bearers to another team to help with the fight.

Manual says on page 23f. that ammo sharing functions like this: If you move a unit next to another they will automaticaly share ammo as needed. Ammo bearer are teams who carry a lot of a special ammo type. They usualy get deployed as backup for a hevy weapon team. One has to be careful at setup with this. In the demo tutorial the Allies have heavy weapon platoon with 2x mortars and 2x HMGs + 2 ammo bearer teams. Both belong to the HMGs! They have no mortar granades that they could share with the mortars. So putting them together will have no result regarding ammo sharing.

Yes yes I know how that works my question is does it work between regular infantry squads... and if so does one squad have to be COMPLETELY out of rifle ammo before the other gives it some?

Yes and mostly yes. Specifically, yes it does happen between rifle squads if they are platoon mates. And yes, they will grab ammo to reload. They don't actually have to be completely out of ammo as a unit - INDIVIDUAL SOLDIERS will leech from around when they need a fresh clip. So eight soldiers might have full to half full clips in their rifles and one guy might have run out of bullets. There is a friendly squad with available ammo next to them, the guy without a rifle clip is able to pinch a clip from them. So they don't need to be all out of ammo, but it happens on a personal basis then.