Can the new system handle cityfghting like Stalingrad.

No.. factories ARE included in CMN.. read the building creation tool instructions. You can create buildings without interior partitions, allowing for open interiors for visibility and engagement. Interior obstructions and cover are abstracted, much like the "1st floor" of a building isn't one large open space, rather a series of rooms and connections. The interior is just abstracted, which is fine.

No you can't. You can remove walls between buildings making up a larger building complex, but that doesn't remove the visibility restrictions that is based on a different building type. The game always assumes that the buildings are divided into small rooms, and you can only have a maximum of one building's length of visibility inside such complex - this means the maximum length is 16 meters. You can't have a hundred meter long factory hall with visibility from one end to another, nor can you have a tall factory hall with only one enterable floor. For Soviet tank factories etc. a special building type will be needed.

Anyway I expect there to have been many engine updates by the time East front comes along...so you can't go by the current game...all I can say is it would work well now..better than anything else..and by the time East front is here it will work even better again.

I always found the problem with urban combat (especially Stalingrad type encounters) was the inability of soldiers to area target grenades, which makes a nonsense of the weapon, when used in such an environment.

They definitely use grenades in SF if you give them an area-fire target that's close enough. I only hope some of the vehicles in Normandy carry spare grenades to re-arm with, cos in SF they don't seem to last more than one quick round of boom-boom.