Best Operational Normandy game on the market?

I would tentatively recomend HPS' Panzer Campaigns: Normandy '44

It's an open system that is very mod-friendly, but ...

* there is no PBEM security. Only play against people you trust completely. Cheating is so trivially easy that it's possible to do it accidentally.

* the game is very much IGO-UGO

* logistics aren't well modelled

* the OoB that ships with the game is highly suspect.

* there is lots of kewl chrome, which can result in some distinctly odd events (eg. DD Tanks retain their ability to swim for the entire campaign, even though they don't even need that function for the initial landings. 'Special Forces' - Rangers and Commandos - can ignore ZOCs to wriggle between units.)

* combined arms effects are notable by their abscence

There are others, but those are off the top of my head :)

The best contemporary operational wargame for Normandy isn't a PC game, it is a board wargame. It is Normandy '44 by GMT games, published in 2010. It's Board Game Geek page is here -

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38718/normandy-44

FWIW...

Very impressive. Any other board wargames in the Normandy area that are in a smaller scale. Say Battalion level? For 5-6 of my buddies are doing a little Operational game using CMBN for the more interesting tactical battles but the board game for the rest.

I would tentatively recomend HPS' Panzer Campaigns: Normandy '44

It's an open system that is very mod-friendly, but ...

* there is no PBEM security. Only play against people you trust completely. Cheating is so trivially easy that it's possible to do it accidentally.

* the game is very much IGO-UGO

* logistics aren't well modelled

* the OoB that ships with the game is highly suspect.

* there is lots of kewl chrome, which can result in some distinctly odd events (eg. DD Tanks retain their ability to swim for the entire campaign, even though they don't even need that function for the initial landings. 'Special Forces' - Rangers and Commandos - can ignore ZOCs to wriggle between units.)

* combined arms effects are notable by their abscence

There are others, but those are off the top of my head :)

Is there a link one could recommend for the open source. The one I found keeps giving me a corrupted version :(

I meant 'open' in that it is very mod friendly. You can change the OoB, the graphics, the environmental and terrain characteristics, the ratings of units, and it has a scenario editor. In fact, I think the only thing you cannot change is the map, and there are some - undocumented and probably unintended - limited ways to modify that too.

Not 'open' as in free :)

The best contemporary operational wargame for Normandy isn't a PC game, it is a board wargame. It is Normandy '44 by GMT games, published in 2010. It's Board Game Geek page is here -

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38718/normandy-44

FWIW...

Of course, there's a VASSAL module for it:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Normandy_%2744