1938 Calm before the storm (ww1 engine)

Cantona,

Thank you for the answers.

I am going to start a campaign with +50% and +1 bonus to test it out.

I think the adjustment to NM would be good as Englands NM is almost wiped out in 42.

I was also wondering if you were able to conquer France by the historical date? Even with a very aggresive Maginot line strategy i can only get them to fall in July and that is without the +1 experience bonus.

Regarding the USSR:

at +50% bonus i was able to take Lenningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad in that order by Oct 19 1941. After the Soviet winter event which took place in Jan 42 I was driving to their relocated Capital in the Urals when their NM hit 0 when i was 3 tiles from their capital. this forced the old boarders and all of my units were returned to Poland while a hand full that were driving into the south were forced into the middle east which made taking Cairo a piece of cake. After that their NM rapidly increased back up to 66% by the early summer of 42. Durring this time England surrendered and I stopped the campaign.

No worries on the Axis AI. i also play as the axis mostly for the challenge, I just wasnt sure if the Axis AI was present or not.

thanks again and its an excellent mod.

Ben.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also been Able to take France by july at best, usually in August since it is difficult to hunt down enough French units to get them to surrender that way. I hope that Hubert and company changes so that it gets a bit higher percentage for surrendering when some units are left. It is 3% multiplied with remaning units that France will not surrender after Paris is taken. At the beginning of my mod there are 35 French units in Africa (more than 100% that France will not surrender!)

If any out there are interested in creating Axis AI scripts feel free to contact me.

1938 Calm before the storm (ww1 engine) v1.5

--------------------------------------------

Changed spotting range for planes

Small changes of range for planes

Added industrial centers to Germany

Moved some Romanian units on the map

Fixed military flags sprites (to get rid of the Algerian flag on war maps)

Removed German HQ Rundstedt from production queue (it´s cripted)

Lowered USSR fighters bomber attack value from 2 to 1

Increased cost for diplomacy, removed 1 chit for Germany and lowered percentage a bit

Added garrison symbols in Yugoslavia concerning partisans

Changed name on USSR city to Donetsk

Changed USSR fortification around Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad to Fortresses

Changed cost for research, limits and chit progression

Added units to USSR production queue for spring 1942

Increased Anglo Egypt-Sudans build limits with one more Attack bomber and added that to production queue also

Lowered France initial National Morale

Fixed Italian National Morale script (wrong position for Grenoble)

Many changes in National Morale scripts

Increased initial National Morale for some countries

Changed some Surrender_2 scripts (Now USSR land becomes German after surrender)

Some changes in USSR unit scripts (Added units, changed text, condition position)

Added 21 USSR unit scripts

Added five different unit types to USSR production queue 1941 december

Added media links to unit scripts

Changed German air fleets from production queue to unit scripts

Added one German fighter unit script

Changed level on some USSR unit scripts

Changed Operation Barbarossa strength script

Added two Russian winter strength scripts

Fixed wrong positions in German A-bomb decision script

Increased cost in decision scripts for creating Reichskommiseriats

Fixed faulty link between two decision scripts for Germany to help rebuild Spain

Added two tiles to Ostland territory script

Added some tiles to Reichskommiseriat Ukraine

Lowered triggers for Uk and Commonwealth to become belligerent towards Italy at 1939

Added positions in pop-up script for German warning to garrison Yugoslavia

Added 2 positions to USSR partisan script

Added positions for garrison script for Sevastopol

Changed some USSR garrision scripts

The fighter interception range is not it's strike range but the land spotting range. The default for this for SCWWI appears to be 1 whereas the default for SCGC apparently is 3. This is why it may appear to not be working. Use the editor to increase the ranges for all combatants to something like what you see in SCGC for the WWII mods if they are all still 1. If the values are not all the same for all countries you might want to contact the mod author before editing just to be sure it's an oversight and not a deliberate tweak for the mod.

Did this get fixed/ updated in patch 1.5? If not how would I do it? thanks

I have not made any changes for Norway invasion, ave you encountered it in the game or have you checked in the editor and found two? In the editor there are three different DE for different situations (Norway neutral or not)

Hmmm I am pretty sure It asked me twice if I would like to intensify the build up for Norway because the repeat of the DE happened on the same turn as the DE for the actual invasion and the two DE options were back to back....Im sober honest.

Cantona,

I have never made a custom campaign before and I was wondering if you have to make changes in order for it to be PBEM?

Not sure if you are interested or not but I have some feedback on my 1.5 campaign for you. Its a really fun scenario and I have probably spent too much time playing it. I am just an average player so take it for what its worth.

- I still find the Russians to be too much of a push over even with the experience bonus you recommended and again I am just an average player well bellow "legend" status.

-Lenningrad and Moscow were easily captured by the end of summer 1941.

-Stalingrad fell in November of 1941

- I think the Russians need to be beefed up a lot or the Germans toned down a little in order to obtain that nail biting experience

- I am not sure what it is but North Africa seems to be way to easy to dominate still. The British and Commonwealth forces basically line up one tile away from Tobruk and sit there while Tac Air and friends pick them off one by one. When they decide to fight a little they do so under strength.

- For the life of me I still cant get France to surrender before mid to late July which I guess is fine given the above notes

- I am not sure about your experiences but when Barbarossa starts I look at the boarder and get the impression that the invasion will be some what reminiscent of going hunting at the zoo. I am not sure if the problem is the amount of units the Germans can produce, their income or a combination of both.

-it seems Britains NM is a little better off this version but i am not sure what it will look like in 1942.

Anyway its a lot of fun and I thought I would throw you my two pennies.

Cheers.

Ben.

In previous releases of "Calm before the storm" finding balance between Germany and Russia has been a tough one, as like you've already noted mass income, and experienced units triumph very quickly.

I have not had as much time to play test recent versions, but a few suggestions could be:

Reduce the Actions points of ground troops. This will only be truely felt in the vastness of Russia and will better pace the German advance.

Greatly increase the cost of Elite Reinforcements, the effects of this will largely be felt after the Russian winter strikes.

Add decision events costing MPP to the Russian Player (or Russian AI) to assist Partisans in cutting supply behind the German front lines if they reach key cities before a predetermined date. This would test the German's players resolve to gamble and attack or play it safe and regroup. It will add another element to the game.

Bengerman, i am glad for all feedback i get, thanks!

Me too have the problem that the Allies is very defensive in North Africa, i do not know the problem, there are offensive scripts (the same more or less as in my Global version, but here it does not seem to work)

The French surrender is as i have noted earlier in this thread due to that the French has too many units left of of Europe to surrender, i hope Battlefront fixes this problem for large campaigns.

1938 Calm before the storm (ww1 engine) v1.6

Hopefully USSR will now be a bit more difficult to defeat, if you want to enjoy all added difficulties, play

Expert level.

Changed Defense bonus data

Changed Movement cost

Changed Combat data

Added some names to Germanys unit list

Increased cost for elite reinforcements

Added one railgun to Swedish build limits and to the map

Increased UK, Germany, USSR and US initial NM

Increased cost to purchase units

Lowered Action points for many land units

Added decision script for poor economy for Spain

Removed pop-up text in some plunder decision scipts

Increased US MPP boost in decision scripts

Increased strength on USSR unit scripts

Added 7 USSR unit scripts (Mostly Expert level)

Removed 1 USSR unit script

Added units to USSR unit scripts

Changed position on Armenian militias unit script

Changed cancel position in one Amphibious script

Small changes to UK Offensive script in Egypt

Small changes to Commonwealth Offensive scripts

Added 2 Commonwealth offensive scripts

Added Spanish Research scripts (Replaced Italian)

Changed research scripts

Added one missing tile to Spanish surrender_1 scripts

Added two NM UK scripts to boost morale (Expert level)

Changed some NM UK scripts to boost morale (Intermediate and Expert level)

Added 8 supply scripts for Russian mud

Added 2 USSR winter strength scripts

Added 3 decision scripts and matching supply scripts for USSR to destroy cities after Axis taken them

1938 Calm before the storm (ww1 engine) v1.7

ADDED README FILE!

Added 2 unit to Anglo Egypt-Sudans production queue

Added 1 corps to the map for Anglo Egypt-Sudan

Added 1 UK diplomatic chit at Spain

Added fortress to Malta

Named UK corps and added it to Malta

Fixed layout of one bitmap

Lowered German, UK, Italian, Us and French build limits for attack bombers

Increased Spanish build limits for fighters and strategic bombers

Removed 1 militia and replaced it with 1 corps for USSR

Increased experience and strength on Anglo Egypt-Sudan forces in production queue

Added text to decision scripts for plundering cities

Added 2 friendly positions to decision script to create Reichskommiseriat Ostland

Added 1 friendly position to decision script to create Reichskommiseriat Ukraine

Removed 1 German unit script for JagdGeschwader 20

Small text changes in unit scripts

Removed one attack bomber from German unit script for Deutsches Afrika Korps

Changed CONDITION_POSITION for some USSR, UK and Commonwealth unit scripts

Increased experience and strength of some units in some UK and USSR unit scripts

Corrected faulty contry numbers in War_Entry scripts

Added War Entry script and Belligerence script for Switzerland to join Allies

Fixed War Entry scripts (wrong country numbers)

Added 1 tile for UK garrison script for Malta

Lowrered trigger in 1 Mobilization_3 script for Germany to press Turkey

Added Mobilization_3 script and matching Belligerence scripts for French West Africa to join the Allies

Removed 1 Mobilization_2 script

Fixed 1 Mobilization_2 script (wrong country number)

Minor adjustments to Mobilization_2 scripts

Fixed spelling in some Mobilization_1 scripts

Fixed wrong text and link to media in supply scripts

Fixed faulty garrison scripts (wrong country number)

Added 20 USSR garrison scripts

Changed activate_position in garrision scripts

Minor changes to UK and USSR garrison scripts

Hi again Bengerman, i have saved the game just the turn before the invasion of Norway and replayed a couple of times and one of these the same DE popped up again and i recieved 3 divisions and one HQ again and directly after that the invasion decision came up. Very strange that a script that only can happen once actually happened twice!