CMBO and GeForce 6200

Frenchy

First - I am using WIN XP with the latest updates and using a GeForce 6200 with latest drivers (not beta). I am able to play CMBB, CMAK and CMSF with no problem.

I have an odd problem - I haven't played CMBO in awhile so when trying to get a game going I get a blank screen once I choose a resolution - CMBO goes to a black screen then, after a few seconds, dumps out with an error message from Windows (encountered an error). I tried numerous combos with the same result.

I tried setting the cmbo exe file to Windows 98 combatibility mode and am able to get to the main screen - but then it can't read the disk in the cd drive!

I double checked to make sure that Windows is seeing the CD and it is.

If it's a driver issue I will have to just forget about playing CMBO since I don't want to risk screwing up my other games that work just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem?

First off, I don't know what I'm talking about.

That said, you might want to back up anything from CMBO you don't want to lose and try a reinstall.

I was using a 7000 series with no problems, even after my card started coming unravelled. I'm now using a low 8000 series replacement card, and haven't noticed anything odd (apart from a little greenish snow which may be related to some pink smoke that I mentioned in an earlier thread -- Schrully must be on vacation of sumfink).

What I did notice when I reinstalled CMBO on my new hard drive (the one with the 8000 series card) was that the preference selection was a bit skittish.

In your shoes I'd try installin it again, but just make sure I wasn't connected to the internet and that all my anti-virus software was (temporarily) turned off.

only a guess but i had a big upgrade two years ago.i put my trusty Ti4600 into moth balls and bought a 7800GT.installed,what was,the latest drivers and could not play CMBO.removed driver with a free utility called "driver cleaner" installed 81.95 and hey presto CMBO ran a treat.

worth a try mate.

Sudowudo -

I tried the suggestions listed by MadMatt on the Tech support page and none of those worked. I turned off anti-aliasing, looked for the hotfix but I am not unable to remove it from my system.

I've already done a reinstall.

I do not know if it is a driver issue - I can start the game in Win98 compatibility mode and it fires up but then it cannot find the CD even though the CD is being read by OS.

How many CD drives do you have? And are they CD drives or DVD drives? The reason I mention this is that when CMBO first came out nobody had DVD drives. I just had my system replaced and (involuntarily) upgraded by the manufacturer, and CD/DVD amd CD drives got replaced with a DVD read/write combo. And the new hardware did not take well to any of my old CD's the first few times I put them in. I was quite worried at first (and still am, a bit).

I'm assuming you have one of the original BTS CD issues rather than the outside publisher with weird protection models.

Philippe

I have a CD Read Only and A DVD RW. I do have the original BFC issue of the CD.

I figure as long as the drive lettering remains the same it should be able to read the disk...

What I may do is try it in Win98 compatibility mode and put the cd in the DVD RW drive it may read it from that...

Who knows -- it may work.

9/14/07 - it didn't work.

[ September 14, 2007, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

I'm not sure if this was one of Madmatt's suggestions or not...

Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced button > Troubleshoot tab > on the Hardware Acceleration slider move it one notch to the left (this may require a reboot). This should disable some of the 3D hardware acceleration features of the card (on a driver level). Try that and see if CMBO comes up (delete the Prefs file if it exists).

If that doesn't do it, go back and move the slider another notch to the left (again, a reboot may be necessary with each change). I'd assume that CMBO would work on the far-most-left setting since that should force software/CPU rendering for everything. At this point I'd assume that CMBO would at least work in a software rendered 640x480 resolution.

I'm not sure what could be so different about CMBO that it wouldn't work, but CMBB and CMAK would. CMBO obviously offers the software rendering option not present in the later CMx1 titles, but beyond that I'm not sure why it is so skittish with your current setup.

Of course you're going to want to set that Hardware Acceleration slider all the way back to the right for any of the other games.

Regarding the Hotfix, I believe that is now incorporated in Service Pack 2 for XP and cannot be uninstalled. However the latest version (that I believe is incorporated into SP2) should have had no problems with the CMx1 titles.

The 'no CD' problem with 'Win 98 compatibility mode' is actually a known problem. Strangely it wasn't consistent, with some people not getting the error using that method. Somehow XP treats the data off some opticals a little differently in some strange manner that interfere's with BFC's CD copy protection in 'compatibility mode'.

A last resort may be downgrading to an earlier 80 or 90 series driver. However this may adversely affect CMSF, though a series 90 driver has worked fairly well with a 6800 card I've used.

If you want to get a little more detailed, you could list all of your 3D settings in the Nvidia control panel. However I'm not sure if any particular setting will help with just CMBO alone.

Schrullenhaft -

Tried the suggestion - nothing worked until I got all the way to the left - it then came up. However the game intro screen was only occupying the top left quandrant of my monitor, (squeezed but proportioned properly) - the rest of the desktop was grayed out. When clicking the space bar it went to a black screen - music was playing but no menu buttons could be seen.

I have a jpeg if you need to see it.

Per Madmatt's suggestions in the FAQ file concerning nvidia cards - I tried turning off anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering but that didn't work either.

Set your desktop to 640x480 or 800x600 and see if that makes any sort of difference.

The "game intro screen", is this the initial menu or is this the video that pops up and plays initially ? Press the Shift key during launch of CMBO and see if that changes anything you're seeing. It should disable the intro movie (QuickTime or AVI ?) until you delete the Prefs file. Deleting/moving the movie itself also disables its playback without problem.

Which specific Nvidia driver are you using right now (you mention 'latest') ? Will it be too much of a problem to go back to an earlier 90 series driver ? I can definitely understand not wanting to screw anything up with the other games.

Holding down the shift key did the trick!!! I am back up and running CMBO! Thanks for your help Schrullenhaft. The intro movie was definately the problem.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Set your desktop to 640x480 or 800x600 and see if that makes any sort of difference.

The "game intro screen", is this the initial menu or is this the video that pops up and plays initially ? Press the Shift key during launch of CMBO and see if that changes anything you're seeing. It should disable the intro movie (QuickTime or AVI ?) until you delete the Prefs file. Deleting/moving the movie itself also disables its playback without problem.

Which specific Nvidia driver are you using right now (you mention 'latest') ? Will it be too much of a problem to go back to an earlier 90 series driver ? I can definitely understand not wanting to screw anything up with the other games.