Utah, Omaha in CM:BN?

A quick question for someone in the know: Do 'rivers' in CM:BN maps have to have two shores, or can one shore coincide with the map edge? If the latter then we can quite easily have a perfectly workable Omaha shoreline depicted, no?

As far as I understand we'll have water tiles to play with.

I'll still miss the good old CMx1 way of just lowering the terrain until you hit water though.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so with a thin water strip at one map edge we literally have everything required for a beach scenario except landing craft? I think we even have hedgehogs, etc.?

Right, so surely that's the issue settled. Anyone who wants Omaha beach can have Omaha beach.

My very first scenario was a D-day scenario made in CMAK. It was huuuuge.

I think it involved something like four or five US infantry batallions and 30 to 40 Shermans.

Opposite the beach - on the western edge of the map - I had made a thin slice of ground with about 25 arty spotters on - to simulate naval batteries.

Not that many germans - most were pillboxes or MG-bunkers - but loads of barbed wire and road blocks on the beach.

Each turn took my PC 15 minutes to calculate ("computer player thinking") - and then it was total carnage for one minute. There wasn´t much for me to do as a player except to order my troops to move forward.

So it was actually more like watching a movie than playing a game - and it soon became a pretty boring movie (1 minute of carnage, 15 minutes of waiting).

Even though my PC now is much faster, I´ve never tried to load the scenario again. And I won´t try recreating it in CMBN for sure.