Question about performance

Hello, forgive me if this has been discussed at length I only did a quick glance to see if there were any threads already on this subject but I'm wondering this:

I have a fairly high end rig (HD Radeon 5870 1gb / Phenom II X6 1090T / 8GB DDR3-1333) but still for some reason my CMSF frame rates are atrocious at high settings and still hard pressed at medium settings. I heard that in CMBN the graphics engine, though basically the same was being enhanced. Is this true? Will my rig run the game more smoothly than CMSF?

Thanks for any insight!

drez

I can't say with certainty that CMBN will or will not fix your issues, but I suspect that the changes are NOT going to address whatever is happening on your computer.

Graphics-wise CMBN primarily changes the way trees are rendered and adds some minor water effects. There's also probably a bit of an improvement in some of the LODs and their rendering distances. But beyond that it probably will not be a major change performance-wise and probably will not address the issues you're experiencing with CMSF.

The 'high' and 'medium' settings you're speaking of - are these '3D Model Quality' and '3D Texture Quality' or are these settings within the Catalyst Control Center involving antialiasing and anisotropic filtering ?

Are there particular maps that you're playing that have 'atrocious' performance or can this be any map of any size ?

Hi, thanks for the response. I realize I was vague in my post. I have my Catalyst controls set to use the application settings for AA and Anisotropic filtering, so yes, I was referring to 3D model quality and 3D Texture quality in game. Perhaps I was a little harsh to say 'atrocious' as I don't consider any of this game breaking or ruinous to my enjoyment of the game, I simply turn the settings lower and am fine with it. I guess mostly I was just surprised at how low my fps dropped off at the higher settings. Especially when I compare the game to other graphically intense games I play such as Just Cause, BFBC2 and Napoleon Total War... anyways, I eagerly await my copy of CMBN! Thanks for these amazing games!

P.S. What is an LOD?

LODs are 'Level of Detail' models and textures. These are models and textures of reduced complexity and size that represent items further away from the viewer. The idea is that something further away doesn't need to be a fully complex model with large textures since all of that can't be discerned at a distance. If you're still curious here's a Wikipedia entry on 'LOD'.

I would recommend starting with being honest about what you can afford to budget towards the new PC.

If you are not going to build it or upgrade an existing one yourself, I would highly recommend the guys at Digital Storm. They offer more reasonable cost units without all the bells and whistles that are still carefully tested and (most importantly) kickass! Look at the testimonials if you are hesitant.

There are plenty of good solutions at affordable prices these days. Just don't skimp when it comes to the power supply if you do it yourself or you'll be sorry!