Run as administrator

So, when I right click CMSF to try and run as administrator my windows explorer shuts down. It happens when I right click some other things such as Yahoo Messenger, but not other things. Any ideas? I am currently unable to run CMSF and would really like some advice as to how to fix this.

Thanks

The Run as admin setting is usually only needed for the very first launch and activation with eLicense protected games. That's so the license is properly registered on your PC. It shouldn't be needed later on, although on some systems it seems that it is (and on others it's a quick workaround for other issues).

One thing about using the "Run as administrator" setting is that it allows files to be written to the '\Program Files' directory. This includes PBEMs, game and campaign saves. Otherwise the files are copied into a hidden system directory (the 'VirtualStore' directory) that is supposed to 'mimic' the original directory where the files will be copied. However, if you look for your PBEM file, it will not be in the actual '\Program Files' directory, but in this hidden directory.

If you like the functionality of having the files actually written to the '\Program Files' directory, then you can modify your shortcut so that you do not have to right-click each time. To do this, right-click on the shortcut and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. Now go to the 'Compatibility' tab and at the bottom of this tab is a section labeled 'Privilege Level'. Checkmark the box next to the text that says "Run this program as an administrator". Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'.

Sounds like you have some sort of corruption or infection that has damaged some registry info that is affecting the Explorer shell. You may want to read through this Windows Explorer Troubleshooting and see if any solutions help.

Here's another one with a link to Registry Mechanic (can't vouch for how good that program is or how truly helpful it may be):

Vista Forums posting about right-click errors