Crashes on launch can't even licence

In the support desk we have an interesting lead right now as well from someone who is not running Kaspersky, related to Window's Data Execution Prevention setting.

If you're having problems with the game closing, make sure to check if the DEP setting for your system are set to protect only Windows relevant programs. We have a Knowledgebase entry about how to do this here: http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=62

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hI,

No, surprisingly it activated fine. But when i clicked on NEW GAME it just displayed the small window with "loading..." and that was it. I had to use task manger to kill it. When I get home I am going to unlicense it and reinstall. (I assume I have to unlicense it first or I will lose one instance of install).

There is no unlicensing with our new Online Activation System. You should be able to uninstall and reinstall just fine, and will not be required to relicense (nor will you lose an activation). *) as long as you don't reformat your PC entirely

However, uninstalling and reinstalling probably won't solve the problem. Make sure you have the Resolution settings for your game adjusted as per Hubert's instructions at http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=197. If the problem persists, check your DEP settings as I mentioned above.

Kaspersky Internet Security got recently tested by the leading German consumer safety group "Stiftung Warentest". They found out that the Firewall of this programm is one of the worst avaiable on the market (worse than the firewall you can get for free from Microsoft...).

http://www.test.de/themen/computer-telefon/test/Sicherheitssoftware-So-wehren-Sie-Viren-ab-4205719-4205721/

Maybe the knowledge of this test and the problems you guy get while trying to use SC WW1 should be enough to star a search for different protecion solutions.

i am no computer expert, but as a paying customer i cant follow the reasoning partly expressed here, namely that i should get another protection solution. i have now played all games in the series since the first with no such problems (also on this computer with the same protection solution), and i have many other games on it, with no similar problems. i have tried all the solutions on the problem suggested here, except deinstalling kaspersky, with no success. if im the only one, ok, but it doesnt seem so... im a casual gamer, if im gonna spend hours and hours just on getting a game up and running, well i actually already did lol.

what i am trying to say is that i have appreciated all the games in the strategic command series since the first came out, and i understand its a little company so take your time, but for all my admiration and respect, if the customer shall do the support, thats my last purchase.

Hi Kalkwerk2.

I'm just a regular user, just like you.

So my advise was a private one, surely not an official Battlefront statement.

I talk to you on a "user-to-user" basis, nothing more, nothing less.

I just read in this thread about all these infos and problems of the Kapersky programms users, and than i stumbled today about this info from "Stiftung Warentest", which is the one german consume saftey group of importance. If companies get good critics from a "Stiftung Warentest" review, they will let you know about it instantly, you will find all out of the sudden the review note printed on the package of a product, you will see commercials with the review note mentioned, there isn't anything better that can happen to your product if you recieve a "gut" (good) or even "sehr gut" (very good) note after they test it very thoroughly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiftung_Warentest

Again, i read about the very recent reviews of Stiftung Warentest, where they tested interrnet security programms. And the bottom line of the free part of the information avaiable (you have to pay to get the detailed test results) was that the Kapersky Firewall was considered by them as one of the worst avaiable Firewall, they wrote that even the Microsoft Firewall which is already part of your Windows OS is better than the Kapersky Firewall, so that you actually hurt your system if you replace the MS firewall with the Kapersky Firewall.

THis was just a friendly try to inform you about what i have just learned for myself, and not an official Battlefront reply to your very unfortunate problems.

I hope that you will find / get a good solution, and this asap.

Claus

if the customer shall do the support, thats my last purchase.

...of the Kaspersky AV software? ;)

Anyway, we are looking into this as quickly as we can. We've also applied for the Kaspersky whitelist team that they apparently offer to developers, but not heard back from them yet.

Hi Kalkwerk2.

I'm just a regular user, just like you.

So my advise was a private one, surely not an official Battlefront statement.

I talk to you on a "user-to-user" basis, nothing more, nothing less.

I just read in this thread about all these infos and problems of the Kapersky programms users, and than i stumbled today about this info from "Stiftung Warentest", which is the one german consume saftey group of importance. If companies get good critics from a "Stiftung Warentest" review, they will let you know about it instantly, you will find all out of the sudden the review note printed on the package of a product, you will see commercials with the review note mentioned, there isn't anything better that can happen to your product if you recieve a "gut" (good) or even "sehr gut" (very good) note after they test it very thoroughly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiftung_Warentest

Again, i read about the very recent reviews of Stiftung Warentest, where they tested interrnet security programms. And the bottom line of the free part of the information avaiable (you have to pay to get the detailed test results) was that the Kapersky Firewall was considered by them as one of the worst avaiable Firewall, they wrote that even the Microsoft Firewall which is already part of your Windows OS is better than the Kapersky Firewall, so that you actually hurt your system if you replace the MS firewall with the Kapersky Firewall.

THis was just a friendly try to inform you about what i have just learned for myself, and not an official Battlefront reply to your very unfortunate problems.

I hope that you will find / get a good solution, and this asap.

Claus

news from the german news broadcaster "N-TV", translated with google (so sorry for the bad translation, but you will understand the key message, which i marked in red):

kp.jpg?t=1299332610

yes. i have tried everything except deinstalling kaspersky.

@ xwormwood, of course you might be right that kaspersky now made a bad result in stiftung warentest. as i began using kaspersky, they had the best results in computer bild tests for several seasons. but my view is that kaspersky just like norton is a major player, and there must be a solution to the problem for kaspersky users as well, regardless wether other protection softwares might have a higher quality these days...

kalkwerk, please go to www.battlefront.com/helpdesk and click on "submit ticket". We're going to need your Dxdiag.exe and MsInfo32.exe output for further troubleshooting of your system. Also, you say that you "tried everything". This doesn't help us much with trying to help you, so in the ticket, please describe in detail the steps you have tried, and make a screenshot if possible of your current DEP settings, as well as of your current Kaspersky Toolbar settings: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280680

@ xwormwood, of course you might be right that kaspersky now made a bad result in stiftung warentest. as i began using kaspersky, they had the best results in computer bild tests for several seasons. but my view is that kaspersky just like norton is a major player, and there must be a solution to the problem for kaspersky users as well, regardless wether other protection softwares might have a higher quality these days...

My personal experience with norton: destabilzed and slowed my entire system.

When i finally found out the source of all my computer problems i deinstalled Norton, and never bought such a program again.

I use the MS Firewall and the free avira antivir software. Every now and than i scan my system with the free Emsisoft Anti-Malware scanner.

Again: all the best wishes for a solution to your computer troubles. :)

I have the game won't launch correctly problem. Can see it running in processes but nothing else

I have Vista 32, NVIDIA card and McAffee.

Demo ran fine

I have disabled scanning to download and install

I have tried all the other tips except DEP and I am not turning DEP on and typing in exception after exception just to run this one game

I have downloaded and run games from many other sites including Matrix, HPS, Steam, Impulse and Gamersgate. I have never had to mess with DEP to run them. Turning on DEP may impact other programs and it just isn't worth it.

So either there is a way to play or I will need a refund because it is hard to understand why this wasn't seen in beta...again I do not have an exotic configuration

Hi Jim,

when you say "the game won't launch", do you mean AFTER a successful installation? In other words, are you launching the Setup.exe file or are you launching the game exe file after installation?

If it's the former, then you may simply give it more time. On some systems, when you run an installer, the system will scan it, and that can take a long time for bigger files, up to 5 or even 10 minutes on some systems (and for really big files - which WW1 isn't - even much longer than that).

If you say that you tried everything, does this include the following?

Open your DEP tab.

For Windows XP:

1. Go to the Start Menu and open up the Control Panel.

2. Open up the "System" control panel.

3. Click on the "Advanced" tab.

4. Click on the "Performance" section's "Settings" button.

5. Click on the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.

For Windows Vista & Windows 7:

1. Go to the Windows/Start Menu and open up the Control Panel.

2. Open up the "System" control panel.

3. Click on the text that says "Advanced system settings" in the menu column to the left.

4. Click on the "Performance" section's "Settings" button.

5. Click on the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.

Click the checkbox where it says that you want to protect ALL programs except those whitelisted.

Click on Add and browse into your game folder. By default, this will be in c:\Program Files.

Add both game exe files:

SC-WWI The Great War 1914-1918.exe

and

Editor-WWI The Great War 1914-1918.exe

Save. If you are prompted to reboot, please do so. After the reboot, please open the DEP tab again first, to make sure that the settings "stick". If they do, please launch the game.

i am no computer expert, but as a paying customer i cant follow the reasoning partly expressed here, namely that i should get another protection solution. i have now played all games in the series since the first with no such problems (also on this computer with the same protection solution), and i have many other games on it, with no similar problems. i have tried all the solutions on the problem suggested here, except deinstalling kaspersky, with no success. if im the only one, ok, but it doesnt seem so... im a casual gamer, if im gonna spend hours and hours just on getting a game up and running, well i actually already did lol.

what i am trying to say is that i have appreciated all the games in the strategic command series since the first came out, and i understand its a little company so take your time, but for all my admiration and respect, if the customer shall do the support, thats my last purchase.

Sincerest apologies for the trouble Kalkwerk and I can say that we are working on solutions to this issue as fast as possible. Opening a ticket as Martin suggests will help us speed this up for you as well.

Hubert

I am failry sure it installed correctly on the second try when I had McAffee off and installed as administrator.

I have let it try and start for upwards of 30 minutes. It sits in "Processes" and uses about 50 percent of the CPU but nothing happens.

Tried the DEP but no joy.

Hi Jim,

when you say "the game won't launch", do you mean AFTER a successful installation? In other words, are you launching the Setup.exe file or are you launching the game exe file after installation?

If it's the former, then you may simply give it more time. On some systems, when you run an installer, the system will scan it, and that can take a long time for bigger files, up to 5 or even 10 minutes on some systems (and for really big files - which WW1 isn't - even much longer than that).

Sooo... is there anyone here that is not being helped in our helpdesk already?

We were able to eliminate at least one problem, and this applies to all Kaspersky users. If you have Kaspersky and something called "Virtual Keyboard" from them, then turn it off. Kaspersky's virtual keyboard is meant to protect you when you're entering passwords online. It seems to do this by something called "code injection" into html pages. Well, the activation screen that comes up when you first launch a game is essentially an html page, and guess what... our protection system is blocking code injection because it is also a frequent method to try and hack a program.

So, please turn off virtual keyboard and the game should launch fine.

If you do not have Kaspersky, and the game is not launching for you at all (not even the activation), then you might want to check if your security package is offering something similar, and if turning it off helps.

Sooo... is there anyone here that is not being helped in our helpdesk already?

We were able to eliminate at least one problem, and this applies to all Kaspersky users. If you have Kaspersky and something called "Virtual Keyboard" from them, then turn it off. Kaspersky's virtual keyboard is meant to protect you when you're entering passwords online. It seems to do this by something called "code injection" into html pages. Well, the activation screen that comes up when you first launch a game is essentially an html page, and guess what... our protection system is blocking code injection because it is also a frequent method to try and hack a program.

So, please turn off virtual keyboard and the game should launch fine.

If you do not have Kaspersky, and the game is not launching for you at all (not even the activation), then you might want to check if your security package is offering something similar, and if turning it off helps.

Hi Moon,

Long time, no post in my case.

I have the (apparently) Kaspersky-related problem (KIS 2010), so I can't get past the "Input Serial Number" screen either.

I'll log a ticket, but, just for the record, I have tried the following:

DEP 'fix' - no dice.

Searched various forums for how to "turn off virtual keyboard" in KIS 2010 as you suggest, but it seems that you have to enable it to use it, so it is generally 'disabled' anyway. Tried the "Settings" screen in KIS 2010 and used "Ctrl + Shift + Alt + P", but this simply turns VK on and off.

Also tried unticking "Keyloggers" in "Settings" under "Proactive Defence" - no dice.

So, I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Any chance someone could post a solution for how to deactivate/disable Virtual Keyboard in KIS 2010?

It's the first time time I've experienced this in any Battlefront game, and I've had KIS for 2 years or so.

Please help.

R

Hi Russkly,

it appears that Kaspersky's virtual keyboard is interfering even if you have it disabled. That kinda matches with our experience with Kaspersky and some other security software out there, in that it's intrusive, apparently poorly documented, and difficult to shut off. The Kaspersky forums and the internet are full with people looking for "how to disable xyz" :)

I tried looking for a solution myself on how to disable it and found that probably you'd have to run the Kaspersky (repair) installer in Windows and deselect the virtual keyboard feature. And some users still had it in their browser add-ons. Talk about poor programming.

We have probably found a way to fix Kaspersky's problems (and that of a few others who have similar stuff running; the idea to fight against keyloggers is noble, but the execution... oh boy) and are preparing a hotfix. I have sent you an early version of that via the helpdesk to try if it resolves the issue. Based on our tests it should but then with Kaspersky and some of the others, you NEVER seem to know what curveball they throw next. I am surprised these packages are so popular in the first place.

Martin

Hi Russkly,

it appears that Kaspersky's virtual keyboard is interfering even if you have it disabled. That kinda matches with our experience with Kaspersky and some other security software out there, in that it's intrusive, apparently poorly documented, and difficult to shut off. The Kaspersky forums and the internet are full with people looking for "how to disable xyz" :)

I tried looking for a solution myself on how to disable it and found that probably you'd have to run the Kaspersky (repair) installer in Windows and deselect the virtual keyboard feature. And some users still had it in their browser add-ons. Talk about poor programming.

We have probably found a way to fix Kaspersky's problems (and that of a few others who have similar stuff running; the idea to fight against keyloggers is noble, but the execution... oh boy) and are preparing a hotfix. I have sent you an early version of that via the helpdesk to try if it resolves the issue. Based on our tests it should but then with Kaspersky and some of the others, you NEVER seem to know what curveball they throw next. I am surprised these packages are so popular in the first place.

Martin

Thx, Martin.

I'll give the hotfix a go when you send the file via PM.

As for why people use these packages, I suppose it's the M$ effect - most people are scared of but horribly reliant on their IT kit, so they go with the big names. Somehow people equate size with success and success with doing a good job, I suppose.

"No-one ever got fired for buying IBM" used to be a corporate mantra - play safe.

KAV was in fact recommended to me by a friend, who does all my hardware stuff (don't like opening the case!), and I trust his judgement.

It's really hard for us casual computer people to keep up to date with all the software, and what's good, bad or indifferent.

Thx for the great response - it's one of the reasons I've bought a ton of your games in the last 10 years and will keep doing so.

Sean