Crashes on launch can't even licence

I already have all of the other Strategic Command games installed and working on my PC.

On installing SCWW1 it appears to install correctly - I go to lauch the game and get the screen offering play now or buy now i then after about 10-15 seconds get a windows error message saying that SCWW1 has crashed and windows is looking for a solution (which of course it never finds!).

If I am quick on the mouse and keyboard I can press the licence option enter the key but then it crashes again with the same message.

I am running windows Vista Service pack 2 with ans ATI 750 graphics card and the latest drivers for video and sound.

The programme is installed on the same drive as the other SC games that work.

I have tried using compatability mode and removing windows vista desktop themes etc using the properties box. I have tried running it as administrator and I have used "End it All" to close as many programmes from background as possible.

It still refuses to work - I have applied the hot fix it still refuses to work - given the other games in the series run fine I cannot understand why this keeps crashing.

Any ideas?

Thoroughly frustrated so far

SIMMYBEAR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Simmybear,

Sorry to hear about the trouble, can you try and temporarily disable your Ant-Virus program and/or whitelist the main WWI executable in your Anti-Virus program to see if that will get you up and running?

Can you also try the same thing if you are running a Firewall program like ZoneAlarm etc.

Hubert

simmybear, Kaspersky has a toolbar application which, even if you switch of the AV program itself, remains running in the background. AFAIK there is no way to switch that off (although you may want to check with Kaspersky support), and you will have to UNINSTALL the toolbar in order for the game to run.

The toolbar apparently is a) very unrelenting about encrypted programs even if they are properly code-signed and B) does not report any interference, so it's not even apparent that it's blocking anything, and c) there seems to be no way to whitelist anything.

Martin

I'm sure you can kill the tool bar from the task manager by ending the process. I'm running AVAST on my desktop with win7 64 bit and Symantec Endpoint Protection with WinXP 32 bit on my laptop and the program runs on both.

Glad to hear that! For the record, the game is not flagged by the Kaspersky anti-virus program itself, but their "toolbar" (which I think is optional, although installed by default; not sure though). Anyway, uninstalling that toolbar (while leaving Kaspersky running) should have solved the problem as well. That toolbar has all sorts of issues apparently :rolleyes:

For the record I didn't have the Kaspersky toolbar installed - I always hang shy of installing all these "free toolbars" (apart from Battlefront of course!!:)).

So it was the main Kaspersky program that seems to have been at fault for me.

SIMMYBEAR

I am having the exact same problem. I got it licensed but the game crashes before I even get it open - I get the message that the program has stopped running. I did not have Kaspersky toolbar installed, but went ahead and also turned Kaspersky off completely just to be sure. No dice. The game will simply not run. I have tried starting it in various compatibility modes (e.g. Windows XP, Vista, etc.) and nothing seems to work.

I have Strategic Command Global Conflict installed and it runs perfectly. WW1 is the first time I have had a problem.

Hi Elxaime, the fact that you have been able to license it actually may be pointing into a different issue. If encryption is a problem with your AV program, then usually it will simply not launch at all. Terminating later on is not a normal symptom.

I would suggest that you open a support ticket at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk so we can look into it.

The thing I can't figure out is, if this is some kind of encryption/anti-virus program compatibility issue, why is it cropping up now with SC WW1 and not with the other SC games I have? I just bought Global Conflict a month ago and have been playing it to death. No problems at all.

Now, I buy a brand new game, same company, same game system - and it won't run. None of my computer hardware, software, etc. has changed in that time. But SC Global Conflict runs, while SC WW1 crashes.

I am reluctant to go tinkering around with my system, AV, etc., when everything else on my computer runs fine except SC WW1.

The thing I can't figure out is, if this is some kind of encryption/anti-virus program compatibility issue, why is it cropping up now with SC WW1 and not with the other SC games I have?

You misunderstood what I typed above. I said the exact opposite... this is most likely NOT an AV/encryption issue, because you have been able to activate the game. The crash happens later, so it's probably something else. Check out the link Hubert posted above, that's a good start.

Gentlemen,

Sorry to hear about the trouble and if you can, please try the instructions found here to see if that resolves the issue:

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=197

If not can you download and install the demo and let me know if that works as that will help me narrow down what the likely issue is:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1818&Itemid=318

Thanks,

Hubert

Hubert

I had same problem as the others (also using Kaspersky), there were no problems running the demo, and no similar problems on running SC2...

EDIT: ok, i am tired of trying different tweaks on this. What i dont want to is to deinstall kaspersky completely, as one user suggested as a solution above. After all Windows 7 /kaspersky are rather common types of software, so you should expect the game to work on it... pretty sure the experts will come up with a solution sooner or later. A bit disappointed about this, but will just have to wait i guess.

I have all of the SC games but this one hangs. i activated it just fine. I get to the main menu screen and select NEW GAME. the little loading box appears but that is as far as it ever gets. I restarted it several times and selected other choices from the main menue but the menu button doesn't even depress. Any ideas? I applied the hotfix patch even though I did not encounter any activation problems but I wanted to see if it would help with the menu not working.

I did check Main Menu/Resolution bug and both are the same. The demo runs fine but the .exe still stops working and windows closes the program. How do you remove the kaspersky toolbar? I'll try that. SC-Global runs fine.

Kaspersky Internet Security got recently tested by the leading German consumer safety group "Stiftung Warentest". They found out that the Firewall of this programm is one of the worst avaiable on the market (worse than the firewall you can get for free from Microsoft...).

http://www.test.de/themen/computer-telefon/test/Sicherheitssoftware-So-wehren-Sie-Viren-ab-4205719-4205721/

Maybe the knowledge of this test and the problems you guy get while trying to use SC WW1 should be enough to star a search for different protecion solutions.

I applied the hotfix patch even though I did not encounter any activation problems but I wanted to see if it would help with the menu not working.

The hotfix only fixes the one activation bug and has nothing to do with the game itself. However, are you sure that you do not have the Main Menu/Resolution bug mentioned in our Knowledgebase?

How do you remove the kaspersky toolbar?

cstew, that's a good question on how to remove the toolbar. To be honest, I haven't been able to find a clear response on the Kaspersky website. :(

After all Windows 7 /kaspersky are rather common types of software, so you should expect the game to work on it... pretty sure the experts will come up with a solution sooner or later.

Any security software can be configured to block anything. On a new computer I once bought I had Norton Internet Security pre-installed. The security settings by default didn't allow me to open any websites, not even the Norton support site. It took me a week to fully get rid of that piece of garbage, and stop Nortons reminders from popping up to buy stuff from them. So really, the Kaspersky folks are the one who should come up with a solution to allow you to run perfectly safe software on your PC, or at least allow you to KNOW what is being blocked, so you can react to it.

Even more so when the software is not triggering even their own filters! When you go to www.virustotal.com and run the game through there, you'll see that Kaspersky's latest definitions are not flagging the file (in fact out of 40+ engines that you can check there, none has a problem with it). So we have something here that seems to be very badly documented, if at all, and yet it seems to be silently and completely blocking the execution, and that's really a problem with Kaspersky and not us...

We're still looking into this of course, but it may be a good idea to contact them as well.

Martin