French start up position

I noticed while playing Germans that Sedan was empty at the start of the campaign for the french, since I went for a delayed attacked on Belgium it was rather easy to bypass the french line now since both Sedan and the forest hex just south of it was unoccopied as well the hexes west and east of Sedan and then in later turns I could attack Belgium from French soil a lot easier.

It also made it a lot easier towards the french since you get a central hole

in the front already at start.

Unless Sedan is made empty of french troop at start because of some historical reason or because it shall picture some early german succes

attack,

I strongly recommend the french to start with a unit in Sedan at the minimum preferable also one unit on the forest hex south of Sedan.

This will really grind down the german at the first turn afterward its not so important to defend it.

Hi Worg64

Sedan was pretty empty at the start as the French were still mobilizing. I have actually tried invading France via Sedan without attacking Belgium and it was very hard because there is such a narrow frontage and any troops that break out into northern France will suffer from extremely poor supply for some time. They'll also have a very narrow funnel through which to feed further reinforcements into action against the French and British.

It may of course be that we could do with helping the Entente AI deal a bit better with a German invasion via Sedan and not Belgium, so we'll definitely consider this. Thanks!

The French position at Sedan, or lack thereof, is intentional and I believe to help mimic the rapid initial advances the Germans had at the beginning of the war but I am sure Bill will pop in later today to add some further thoughts :)

He popped in at the same time! :)