Parameter and baker question

Is there a parameter setting to have the game end when I reach a percentage of casualties in my own friendly force or do I have to hit surrender. I set a scenario objective of enemy > 95% casualties and the game ends. It works. Can I do the the same for MY force casualties. I tried setting AI red force parameter to > 80% enemy casualties and the game kept going even when all blue force was killed except for empty vehicles.

2nd question. Is baking a scenario necessary if you set AI groups and movements in the editor. Or is it for some kind of direct scripting. Very little explanation in the PDF manual.

Again thanks

The reason the game ended under the first setting is not because the casualty limit was reached, but most likely because the AI's auto-surrender kicked in. Once the AI takes a certain level of casualties (as a percent of its total force size), it automatically throws in the towel. Not sure if there are other considerations there - like proximity to the objective, absolute quantity or quality of remaining forces, or enemy casualties - but I think not, and reaching 95% casualties would certainly be enough to trigger it. There is no way to have the game end when a certain percentage of casualties are reached.

Baking is not necessary if you have AI plans. Baking is, as you said, more direct scripting telling the AI exactly what to do. Never played with it myself, not sure if others here have; I believe only a handful of scenarios were ever released that used it.

That's my understanding, at least. HTH.

Not that kind of scripting, I should've been more clear in my first answer. The "scripting" in a baked scenario is issuing units orders - within the game itself and just like you do when actually playing - in the map editor that are saved and that the units begin executing when the scenario starts. From the manual:

The scenario designer can save his scenario file in a special format (.btb) that enables units to have pre-assigned Commands, which normally is not possible to do. This feature allows a battle to start up right in middle of a firefight, for example, or to have a column of vehicles begin the scenario already in motion. Thus the commands are “baked” into the file itself...

After a valid file is selected CM automatically switches the Editor to Bake Mode, which is similar to the 3D Preview mode. Unlike the normal 3D Preview, Bake Mode shows both sides’ forces at the same time and activates the Command menus. These are the same menus available during Setup Phase when playing a scenario (except that here you can do it for both sides simultaneously). Commands issued in Bake Mode are executed immediately at the start of the game.

And unfortunately (or not, depending on what you use them for), baked scenarios, like campaigns, cannot be opened after they've been baked. The manual again:

The scenario designer can save his scenario file in a special format (.btb) ... It is very important to note that Baked scenarios use a special file format that can not be edited again.

P. 142.

ISTR Steve saying that BFC had removed "baking" as an option for CMBN (and CMA too?) since designers weren't using the feature. Could be wrong though.

Yes, I seem to remember same. Seems like it might be premature, since the uses where baked scenarios would be most useful would seem to be more prevalent in CM:BN than in CM:SF, namely:

(1) preventing files from being opened and previewed before tourney play, which I expect to be a lot more common in CM:BN, and

(2) having a unit do an exact, specific action, instead of the the broad-brush AI plans, which I think would be useful for recreating small-scale historic scenarios (can't think of any concrete examples of the top of my head but if, e.g., you're recreating a battle that you know started when the PaKs waited to open up on a certain vehicle in the column, or the two sides became engaged when a squad of infantry darted across the road or some such).

I sometimes wonder why baking wasn't used more in CM:SF. I think it could have had a lot of potential.