Some imposing pics, ja!

Pešadija

Hi there. Like all of you, I long for the latest Combat Mission of the bunch to come out. But, instead of harassing steve about which animations german soldiers will use to defecate in a field latrine, I'd like to start a light-hearted challenge.

How about you people post the most imposing/menacing photo of a WW2 officer you can find? And, as much as I like the "leading from the front" figures as much as the next guy, it should be a general officer, from lieutenant colonel upwards.

I'll start. I think this pic from old J. Blaskowitz takes the cake.

images%3Fq%3Djohannes%2Bblaskowitz%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dit%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:it:official%26channel%3Ds%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D890%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1448&vpy=54&dur=7524&hovh=264&hovw=191&tx=142&ty=180&oei=SUVWTZKVIM6UOuGujfYE&page=1&ndsp=49&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0

This dude just evil eyes-you. :eek:

And sorry, the internet doesn't provide a bigger, fatter image.

If it does, it's too hard to find. :D

66092832593700679.jpg

After the fall of Germany, Zhukov became the first commander of the Soviet occupation zone in Germany. As the most prominent Soviet military commander of the Second World War, he inspected the Victory Parade in Red Square in Moscow in 1945 while riding a white stallion. American General Dwight D. Eisenhower, the supreme Allied commander in the West, was a great admirer of Zhukov,[specify] and the two toured the Soviet Union together in the immediate aftermath of the victory over Germany.

Nice, nice! But, you know, this is mainly about pure appearance, not valiance!

This one is where the knowledge of forum members shows (history? BAH!).

I've seem many photos of comrade George, but this one! Statuesque!

De Wiart's hardcore too. For some reason, the color portrait is creepier than the old age photo.

Looking back at images I came across this link to information I knew not!

Extremist groups like The Stern Gang (or Lehi) and Irgun, were determined to end the British mandate in Palestine and replace it with a Jewish homeland. Hundreds of their fighters, along with many British soldiers, were killed or injured in a struggle that escalated after the end of the war. Desperate to achieve a breakthrough after the arrest or deaths of many of their members, the two groups set up underground cells in Britain. It wasn’t long before British security services got wind of what was happening and in early 1946 they issued this top secret internal warning:

“Members of the Stern group are now being organised and are under training. It is expected that they will be sent to the United Kingdom to assassinate important members of his majesty’s government, particularly, Mr Bevin.”

In the months that followed a number of bombs exploded in London and an attempt was made to drop on a bomb on the House of Commons from a hired plane. This last effort was only stopped after French Police discovered Stern Gang members preparing to cross the channel in a plane containing a large bomb.

Mike Thomson and the Document team track down the assassin sent to kill Earnest Bevin and the man who gave him the explosives to do it.

Hmmmm!