Fatal Application Exit - Out of Memory. Scenario salvageable?

I'm playing a turn-based hotseat game of CMSF; medium-large size (two Marine companies with armor take an insurgent-held urban area with a rural/suburban perimeter).

The game unexpectedly crashes, citing some sort of memory error or another. Upon trying to boot my most recent save, the game crashes--Fatal Application Exit window reading simply, "Out of memory". I'm unable to do anything besides hit the enter key and return to desktop. It does this every time I try to load the savegame now.

Is the scenario somehow salvageable? Is there something I can do in the future to help minimize the chance of this occurring? Why does it happen?

Thanks in advance.

We get intermittent reports of some 'out of memory' errors, but can't reproduce them consistently.

You can possibly try changing your 'Options' settings for your graphics, but it may be something else within the 'save game' data that is crashing the scenario. My assumption is that most likely you will NOT be able to recover this scenario to play it to conclusion. However try reducing the '3D Model Quality' and '3D Texture Quality' settings to see if they have any effect on the 'out of memory' problem.

With large scenarios and PBEM I regularly get out of memory exeptions when I save the email game and later load the next one.

My work around is to always exit Shock Force before loading a game (and as the startup time for the game is tiny compared to the load time of a save game this is no real problem to me).

But it indicates that some memory is not released when going back to the main menu.

I had this error until I finally, no thanks to HP, managed to get different video drivers installed. This proved to be completely curative.

Oh, really!? What exactly do you mean by "different" video drivers? Older? Newer? Alternative?

I've got an Nvidia GeForce 260GTX, I thought the driver issues were all smoothed out when they fixed the shader problem (thanks a ton for that btw, BFC).