New to ToW

Sargoth

Hi, I bought these games as a bundle over at steam (Tow 1, ToW2; kurks and africa) this Christmas, hoping to satisfy my RTS needs.

When I did finally install the game and played through the the tutorial on ToW: Africa 1943, and went on to the first mission and got quite overwhelmed by the Nazi advances and in frustration quit the game.

So I wondered if anyone had any good advice on how to play this game, without massive frustration! And anything I should noteworthy grab of the net like mods or so (running a clean install)

thank you

Try the mission generator. In Kursk its called the simple editor. Just look for the MissionGen.exe file in the Tow2

C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Theatre of War 2\MissionEditor\MissionGen

You can easily create your own battles. Might make the game more interesting. And I agree the missions are stiff. I barely made it through the campaign, its rewarding tho.

missiongen.jpg

Yes, unless you are completely adverse to using editors, it is worth the time. The mission generator is easy to use. The extended editor would allow you to edit the existing scenarios to make them easier or harder or just different. Not completely transparent, but even I was able to figure it out. It's one of the reasons I love this series.

The tip in this comment made a difference to my ability to survive some of the missions. A simple reduction of elite status to veteran for a couple of enemy units made a nightmare mission a rewarding skin o'the teeth fight.

Once you get used to it the game series is a lot of fun. The editors & mission generators are pretty straightforward yet capable of throwing out some really good battles/campaigns.