LOS and vehicles

Just killing time with thoughts on how to improve the game a litte.

Did BFC ever say if they were going to change the LOS eminating from certain vehicles so it is appropriate? What I mean is... Some of the vehicles have sensors at the very top of the vehicle and if we were able to just stick the VERY top of the said vehicle over a burm then we would have LOS with very little exposure.

Where does LOS eminate from? Is it center of mass?

Just wondering...

Last I heard, it aint happening until (maybe) CMSF2. Yes, it makes those units with telescopic vision useless deathtraps.

The other item that bugs me is that mines can't be located or destroyed. At least you can smoke an IED and (in the game) the triggerman won't detonate it if he can't see it. But, hey... it's just a game. So much else is great.

Slightly off topic,but still related to LOS...does anyone know, since the game is 1-1 in most of its aspect, and unlike CMX-1 games, a single tree is really a single tree,etc...

Does it matter, in game, as far as concealment, if we are using a tree that is "leafy" compared with, say, a palm tree with a long trunk,and leaves only at the top to hide, for example, a giraffe's head? Just curious here, as I have also downloaded a good mod (Syrope) with more "European" style trees, that really would make much better cover than some of the Syrian ones in game, if it was real life, but if so in game, it would require anyone playing against me to share the mod, so that they took advantage as well? Or the mod strictly is aesthetic,and trees are hardcoded as a specific value for concealment,etc?

Well they did introduce I think three discrete LOS levels to reflect three different heights as opposed to the initial one height level.

So taller vehicles had a different LOS level than lower ones (or prone soldiers had a lower LOS level than standing ones).

However I don’t think they can have a unique LOS start point for every different sensor location as you’d then have multiple LOS levels (a lot more than three) and the system would bog down.

That’s why you currently can’t spot from say “turret down” (reflecting the view from the Crew Commander’s binos as he stands on the turret roof) but you need to come forward to “hull down” so the Gunner’s sight can “see”.

So hopefully to make it clearer, to reduce CPU workload, each vehicle has a single LOS point (so there isn’t one each for say driver, gunner and commander) and that point can be at one of three levels so a taller vehicle has a higher LOS point than a lower one.