Airpower munitions

Erwin

There are 5 columns for types of munitions. In the original CMSF manual I don't see an explanation of what types of munitions are repped by each column. It's important as after using up ammo on missions one needs to know what types are left. (Dangerous to order LIGHT when all that is left is HEAVY etc.)

Anyone know?

Thanx...

This has me wondering just how much different your version is from mine lol. This is from the original manual on the THREE columns, and mine,also only has these three.

These are the Parameters for all Air Missions:

Target - sets the size and shape of the area to hit:

Point - focuses on a single Action Spot or unit

Area - one click for center and another click for perimeter

Mission - responsible for establishing the scope of the attack:

Light - lighter Munitions

Medium - mix of lighter and medium Munitions

Heavy - medium Munitions with a smattering of lighter

Type - sets the munition mix based on the target type:

General - favors unguided HE munitions

Armor - weights towards ATGMs

Personnel - favors HE munitions

Based on this, the idea is the same as artillery, for me. If you are firing in near vicinity of friendlies, do not make the ordnance too "heavy" as a miss is likely to cause damage to your units as well, and even a hit, with some of the heavy ordnance, can affect troops in the open hundreds of meters away, your troops included. I personally use heavy only for preplanned stuff, from aircraft, or sometimes with artillery combine it with the "quick"choice as I am moving forces forward to what I have identified as the enemy front line, so that only a few rounds impact,causing the enemy front line troops to shelter and suppressing them,then when they look up from the handful of rounds, they are faced with an onrushing assault force. With air, it seems you cannot control the length of the air strike though,so better not use "heavy" anywhere where your troops will be close to for several minutes.

I mean, someone somewhere must know what the 5 columns represent munitions-wise.

A perfectly reasonable supposition; but it's not like all fixed-wing assets have loadout A and all rotary-wing assets have loadout B. Even the same aircraft can have several different loadouts depending on intended sortie type ("ground attack" or "anti-armor") and on payload weight ("light", "medium", or "heavy"); thus there are as many as six different loadouts for every single aircraft.

For instance: If it were that the left-most bar represents cannon ammo, then why does an RAF Harrier GR9 (which has no cannon) fitted for a general CAS mission (bombs rather than missiles) have two "ticks" in each of the two left-most bars? Likewise, if it were that the second-from-the-right bar represents dumb bombs, then why does a fully-loaded Apache (whether AH-64D or AH1) have ammo in that bar along with the three on the left?

In other words, the loadout of an aircraft and thus the display of its loadout is very case-dependent.

i am still not seeing 5 columns...just the three mentioned above i n the manual. what are your 5 columns?

Seems to be a terminology mix-up. When Erwin writes "columns," he evidently means the ammo bars. When you write "columns", you apparently mean the mission parameters (point/area/linear, light/medium/heavy, general/personnel/armor). Is that correct?

Some rules of thumb (based simply on my observations in playing CMSF for about 1.5 years; I'm no beta tester):

1. If a fast-mover has just two tiny ammo bars, it has only bombs.

2. If an air asset (fast-mover or helo) has a large ammo bar, those represent missiles.

3. The only fast-movers with guns are the US A-10 and the USMC Harrier. (The British Harrier has no on-board cannon.)

4. Cobras have either cannon plus rockets or cannon plus missiles. Apaches have (usually) cannon plus missiles plus rockets.

5. When an Apache has 4 ammo columns, one is for M230 AP and the other M230 HE (as per akd in an earlier "Airpower munitions" thread).

Hopefully CM:SF 2 will include more control over air asset calls (within realistic bounds, of course) as well as tooltips to indicate which ammo bar indicates what.