Why Won't My Icons Work

Having been encouraged by the excellent work done by Angryson, I was trying to modify some of the floating icons. My first attempt was to create a floating icon for the ZSU-23 using APP-6a symbology.

I took the stock icon and modified the art in the red diamond. I did not touch anything outside of the diamond. However, when I put the icon in my Z folder, it shows up in the game as a red diamond in a black square.

What am I doing wrong here? I have tried using both paint and paint.net for the modifications. The icon I created is attached.

icon syr red spaa 1.bmp

• 8 months later...

Since you're using Paint.net, i'll show you how using that and a little program called AlphaConv.

Using the magic wand tool select the area you want to make transparent:

alptut1.jpg

Then delete the selected area:

alptut2.jpg

Then save as a 32-bit png:

alptut3.jpg

Now open up AlphaConv and drag the png file onto the AlphaConv window. note the settings for AlphaConv:

alptut4.jpg

Now your icon should have a transparent background:

alptut5.jpg

(The edges are still a bit rough, you might have to use some anti-aliasing there and I had to assign the icon to the infantry as I don't have the shilka)

And that's one way you can do it. (smiley deleted as it exceeds image limits,lol)