File size limitations?

I'm not aware of any 'hard set' limitations, but it has to be remembered that CMSF (and CMA) are 32-bit applications, which gives them a realistic memory usage of up to 2GB of RAM within the Windows OS. This does NOT change when running a 64-bit version of Windows.

As was pointed out in the other thread, there are a lot of considerations when it comes to memory usage and battle/map sizes. With LOS calcs, relative spotting, graphics management and other calculations memory usage increases almost exponentially with more units and larger maps. I'm not sure why the PBEM file was saved to an incorrect spot within the directory structure, that seems a bit strange.

I don't think that we've gone out and specified where these limits may exist within the code. I'm not sure if there are 'hard coded' limits anywhere in there, though they probably exist in some manner or another. It's possible that a large map may reduce the number of units that can be in the battle and vice-versa, but again I don't know what the limits may be since they're not explicitly known to me (maybe Charles and Philip may have an idea). Things can also change with certain patches and the way the program uses memory (i.e. - when there were more LOS elevations included in past patches, etc.).

I'm not sure if we're going to have a solution or hard answers to this question. One other thing to possibly be aware of is the interaction of anti-virus/security utilities. These MIGHT interfere with writes of large files/PBEMs by CMSF (but that is strictly a guess).

Thanks for u answer.

" I'm not sure why the PBEM file was saved to an incorrect spot within the directory structure, that seems a bit strange. "

its there the problem is, i think when u have manny troops the PC will need longer time to calculate the turn and it then world save right

so if there is a chance u can look into save problem it would be fine

Anders

as far i know my file nr 26 is ok when u make file nr 27 it save into the outgoing Email folder. so the flie end in the right spot

in the old days of cmbo we have the blue bar, when i play on a big map with manny troops it take longer for the PC to calculate, and it sould do the same now with a new engine. i dont know were it go wrong, is it when i see the blue bar or after i press OK for the save game file ?

Anders