Working on other project?

For example, once Global was released, there was a discussion on what the next game should be and if it should be SC3, but in fairness just because the next game was not SC3 does not mean that we've ignored the idea or are incapable as some have suggested, but rather there were other items in the pipeline that needed to be completed first. Essentially it is no longer develop one game, stop and start another game sort of thing on our end because as mentioned we would have gone out of business a long time ago if that were the case.

But that being said, starting an SC3 project is really going to be a full stop on all other projects because it is starting from scratchHubert

"Other items" mean the time schedule is at least some years away for sc3. More like earliest at 2013 or 2014 I guess. Excuse me for not singing hallelujah.

For a longtime now, I believe you(Hubert) and I have been on the same wavelength for SC development and again your post seems to reflect just that premise. I remain supportive of your gaming endeavors and I still believe there is some mail in the envelope that hasn't been read yet, ie SC can get better, whether it's SC3 or further expansions of SC2.

Our fellow SC brethren will have to reckon with the fact that the large leaps in innovative mechanics will perhaps come up a little short of the past expectations, as I stated. None the less I still believe the true SC enthusiasts will continue to support you, Hubert, with their patronage and ideas but with some increase in grumbling, it's just human nature.:cool:

One thing I wish you to recollect, remember SC1 didn't start out with such an extensive editor and I see no reason, although it would be nice, that SC3 should include anything more than a rudimentary editor as the new mechanics are hashed out. Obviously, being a master game programmer, we can depend on you to write with the flexibility that culminates with a similar editor the now famous SC series possesses.

That's good enough for me, and I suspect good enough for the other SCers also, so don't let that(editor) stand in the way of progress on the SC3 front. The "deja vu" I want attached to the progress of SC3 is the same as the original, why mess with success!:)

Thanks SeaMonkey and to clarify it is not the Editor that holds up development, rather the Editor actually speeds things up because a robust Editor allows one person to create and design campaigns while the other, i.e. me, can continue to develop the game code. Essentially it allows us to do two things at once but of course the only catch is that the Editor and other internal editing tools we use need to be built first. Granted some thinking into the game design can occur while the tools are being built but that is mostly my end so there is not much gain there either.

I should also mention that the other nice thing is that once the proper tools are built we just release them as a part of the game so that others can pretty much do the same thing and create custom campaigns or custom games... the catch to all of this is, as previously mentioned, it just takes some time.

Take a long time to develop a good product even if in each incarnation there are slight changes. Look at Civilization... how many incarnations are they on? Why couldnt they convert to hexes 2 versions ago? (we are on Civ 5 now).

Why does every space strategy game manufaturer make a similar game? (Galac Civ 2 is the best one so far)

On top of all that there is money involved. Do you know how much it takes to run a software company, pay programmers? It takes cash. Before I might have thought like the rest of the posters here but I think Hubert and company are doing a good job. Each incarnation of the game has had solid improvements. They take what we say, test it over and over again, then incorporate the best of it in the next game.

You simply can't take every idea and stick it in the next version of a game and hope all the testing works. You need to take each step one at a time or you wont know which systems are impacting which. - "the more complicated the machine, the easier it is to break"

Hubert said WWI is the final version of this engine and looking at it, I agree. Its got everything within reason and fun to make WWI, WWII, WWIII, or even a space game mod worthy (which I might do if I have time).

And the AI, do you know how tough it is to create a challenging AI without cheating for it? My mod has reactive AI functions and it is not easy for me to make. I have to play test countless games (AI vs AI) to see what they are doing and read the logs. The fix errors. Then I play test a game myself vs the AI as one side then the next and again find tons of errors. I correct them and continue. I was a programmer 20 years ago and I even wrote my own space game with AI. Its not easy.

If they come up with SC3, which Im sure they would, the changes would be great. I only hope they ask my input.

SC2 is a great game or I wouldnt be here. They did a great job and the WWI version is very good implementing some nice features. So I give them kudos on their product.