New Scenario - Canadian Square Combat Team

If you want to try a - mostly - doctrinally correct square combat team operation, here you go:

http://farnorthracing.com/NATO_DG1.zip

This has some decent playtesting done to it and is pretty good. Red AI has a couple of options and sloppy tactics will hurt you.

Scoring is in place but the point values aren't tweaked yet to accurately reflect mission success or failure. Feedback welcome on that.

All comments welcome. Enjoy!

DG

I have played your scenario against AI (WEGO iron). Was nice battle, but much to easy.

*Spoiler*

I just parked my Blue stuff on the hill on my side and took the border station, with some infantry. Never actually had to take the second objective on the red side or the observation post. The Red counter-attack I just 'spawn-killed' with my tanks and arty. The AI surrendered half an hour before official scenario end time.

As Blue one just has to position the tanks on the hills and wait to win.

Also no really fun for a red player in pbem, I would think.

But it was fun to watch of course. :]

Yeah, I'm going to have to revamp the scoring so that blue cannot win unless the objectives are taken. The mission requires you to take the objectives, so it shouldn't be possible for Blue to win unless he actually occupies the objectives.

The fact that the ground on the Blue edge of the map dominates the ground on the Red edge is also an issue that I'll have to fix with some map tweaks.

Given that this scenario represents the opening move in an invasion in a backwater corner, it should be "easy" for Blue. Red "wins" by inflicting casualties on the attacking force.

This mission is intended to be the first in a series; an alternate Canadian campaign. Once individual scenarios are hammered out, I will string them together into a "real" campaign (and losses taken in this mission will hurt later).

Thanks for the feedback; you confirmed a couple of suspicions. Revised version forthcoming.

DG

...Given that this scenario represents the opening move in an invasion in a backwater corner, it should be "easy" for Blue. Red "wins" by inflicting casualties on the attacking force.

I would say, just take away the Blue high-ground. That will give the border-wall a significant function. Blue should have no idea what is behind the border station till he has taken it. Blue tanks should have to be brought through this needle-eye as a must, before they can rule on the red side.

• 3 weeks later...