Anti-tank gun heros

I was playing a meeting engagement last night against the AI (I was the Germans vs the British). Inspired by a book I'm reading, In deadly combat, I decided to use two anti-tank guns (for some reason I never use these). I had one veteran 50mm gun set up in a wooded area overlooking the main road through this village. He was hidden. About 100m to his right was a veteran Panther tank watching the same road. Eventually a Brit tank came into view along the road, sideways and about 300m away. The panther got killed before it could get a shot off. Since the AT gun was hiding it hadn't fired. But now, I unleashed it. It exchanged a few shots and was taking MG fire but it killed the tank. During the course of the battle that 50mm AT gun killed two more tanks and two Armored cars along with a handful of infantry. They fought like champs.

Very impressive AT gun performance--particularly since it was a meeting engagement and thus the gun was not dug in. I, too, have had surprisingly good results with relatively low calibre AT guns. (ie, as Allied in Enough is Enough) I think the difficulty for buttoned AFVs to see them in covered terrain is a help. Love those "hit weak area of armor" kills. Also, my expectations for them are low--so I tend to put them in ambush places with short fields of fire. The AI, in particular, tends to leave its infantry behind--which robs it of its best defense against AT guns.

On the other hand, I tend to expect to much from big guns like 88 mm AT guns. I set them up with huge fields of fire. That, plus their size, tends to then make them too vulnerable to suppressing fire.

It is sort of like being tempted to charge forward with Tiger tank, whereas when I have a MkIV tank I know to be much more cautious.

I don't have that much experience with AT guns (or CM for that matter) but in a PBEM I faced a dug in 105mm RCL (veteran Germans). This beast got off a few shots and did a little damage to some infantry but I was pretty close to it with several squads and some tanks were approaching it from the side at the same time. I was hoping to surpress them and get at them soon but to my surprise they threw up their hands and surrendered. I was unimpressed.

• 3 months later...

I'd like to award one to a 50mm anti-tank gunner i used in the scenario "too little, too late.

After crewing up my deployment and getting shot to hell in the 1st turn he stoped the Ami column cold. At the beginning of the second minute i unhid him and he let fly.

Result?

4 shots fired.

1 M-24 Chafee and 2 Stuarts killed!

In the next turn IIRC he knocked out a halftrack before getting overwhelmed be a storm of enemy fire.

Stabalized the situation long enough to allow a redeployment of other forces.

Hehe...memories...

CMBB scen "GD Romanian defence". 2 7.5cm ATGs. Entrenched. Behind crest after rotating the fixed trenches. Targetting 30+ T34s at above 1000m. IIRC there were a few TRPS. Lost 2 or 3 men from the crews and the guns after taking out two dozen of the T34s. Wait for hull up side shot. Shoot one turn - set short covered arc and hide till the T34 stop to target the gun. Wait for side shot...

Gruß

Joachim