New file at the Repository: NATO Icons (2010-10-26)

• 1 month later...

Currently looking round to see how to install these? Is there a guide or instructions anywhere? I knew how to do graphics mods with CMBO etc but not CMSF? I know with those bundled as brz files they just go in the 'Data' folder but not sure where these icon images go??

Got to:

Location\Data

"Location" = wherever you have installed it (e.g. C:\Games\CMSF\ or C:\Program Files\ Battlefront\CMSF, etc.)

Within "Data" create a new folder entitled "z" (that's it one letter).

Put the mods inside this so called "z folder"

Start the game and the mods should be in effect.

Not sure how well / nicely these interact with earlier US / USMC / UK mil symbol mods though.

Well all I did with the mod in the topic was:

Expanded the .rar file (which creates a folder called "NATO Icons") and put "NATO Icons" folder into the z folder.

So the path becomes:

Location\data\z\NATO Icons\Various sub folders that the mod maker created.

Now for AKD's sound mods (just to pick another example) I just put all the *.brz files as is (I didn't create a sub folder) into the z folder.

Bottom line is pretty much "suck it and see", put the files in "z" restart CMSF and see if the desired change happens.

Of course often the mod comes with a "readme" (but unfortunately most people don't appear to bother actually reading them).

My question was when the mod maker did not create a folder but simply puts a bunch of files in a zip file.

Is it advisable/ok to create a folder of whatever name one wants (does it matter what you name your own folders?) and put that folder in the z folder. Or can one simply put the grahics files into the z folder (that creates a bit of a mess as they get all mixed up with other mods that also don't have folders).

It would be great if there were a standard way of "publishing" mods. Currently, so many mod makers do it "their own way" often without an instructions and it is very confusing.

Agreed, hence my comment about "suck it and see". :)

If you want to try your own folders go ahead and see if it works. Worst case the mod doesn't work and you have to pull the files back out again.

Its not like you are going to destroy the game. Just remember what you did and if it doesn't work reverse the process so you are back at the start point.

I only run 2 - 3 mods so I'm not too fussed.

Why?

Surely its just a case of recording what you did when you first install the mod (use paper if you need to).

Once it works and assuming you want to keep it, toss the paper away.

If you are one of those people who change mods daily then that's up to you.

Even a package like the "zBee Mod Manager" probably wont help in that situation.

Thanks for the help. At the moment I only have two mods, 'AKD Sound' and 'NATO Icons'. Latter has no 'Read Me', former has but it doesn't mention the need to actually create a 'Z' folder, just about deleting one called 'Z_AKD Sound Mod' of you have it already. It DOES however say that this folder could be in the Z folder if you have one.

I doubt I will use SO many mods on this as I did with CMBO but it's good that it seems you can keep them organised. I will try keeping folders of mods inside the Z folder I think (e.g. NATO Icons, Scipio Icons etc etc). In the AKD Read Me it talks about deleting this folder called "Z_AKD Sound Mod" that you might find in the Z folder if you have it already and what I'm not quite clear on is whether, to keep things neat, I can/need to put AKDs mod in a folder just called 'AKD Sound' OR if I actually should/need to create one called 'Z_AKD Sound Mod' (e.g. a Z folder within the Z folder). I'll give it a try.