British Helo Pilots...

LukeFF

"His escape is nothing short of a miracle...the bullet ricocheted off his flying helmet"

Duh - no credit to the helmet then....not acknowledgement that if the pilot gets incapacitated the co-pilot is there for a reason....no mention of the design of the helicopter to take damage...

Not to denigrate the guy's efforts, but apart from the actual facts, the reporting is sensationalist drivel! :(

Still the pilot's professionalism is a credit. If that was a Yank there would have been screaming and expletives all over the place. And like the reporter says, a few mill lower and it would have gone into his face.

I recall a couple of similar incidents. I think there is one in Chickenhawk and there is one from the Falklands War too, where the bullet came in the side of the helmet but deflected off the mike assembly, travelled round the inside brim, scoring the pilot's forehead and then exited out the other side. The co-pilot just saw the pilot slump forward with a big hole out the side of his helmt dripping blood. He couldn't believe it when the pilot regained consciousness and took control again.

Pak we don't get the Sun down here - one of the few blessings of being an isolated outpost of civilisation :)

Yes the pilot did well.....wouldn't take anything away from him at all.....but let's face it - what else are you going to do?? I don't think any half-decent pilot would have done anything different - even a mouthy yank would probably have done the same thing:)

And apart from the helmet and a/c design, how about the ppl who designed and delivered the training that the pilot used? And his cricket team captain at public school??!! ;)

There's a lot goes into making a good pilot who can cope with the unexpected in this manner - certainly the man himself......but an awful lot has been done to make sure he _is_ the right person, with the right gear, on the right job too.

Perhaps came with the airframe as standard kit. And since it uses a standard NATO round, hardly worth the cost to replace.

That sounds a bit unlikely - AFAIK, the British Chinooks have been extensively modified. There isn't much point saving the cost of a $1,500 MG when you're spending $15,000,000 on the airframe. Then again, this is the military, who do tend to have rather weird ideas about what is and isn't important.

There are plenty of MGs in British hands - like the GPMG - that use standard NATO 7.62 anyway, but it wouldn't surprise me too much for the Air Force to have their own unique MG, just because they can.

Having said all that, my guess is that the reporter just bollixed the description. IIRC, you never actually see this supposed "M-60". That caught my attention when I was watching it, so I was looking out for a glimpse of the weapon.

Oh, and Stalin: *raspberry* By your line of thinking, no one should ever be commended for anything they ever do. Newton may indeed have been 'standing on the shoulders of giants', but it was Newton that put it all together. Similarly, this pilot (raised and trained by a whole slew of Proper Chaps) is the one who used the a/c (designed by genii) to do a remarkable job. So, yeah, all credit to the Proper Chaps and the genii, but Top Marks to the pilot. Dollars to donuts he has an interview with the Queen in the not too distant future :D

The US Army made a bad deal back in the early days of Viet Nam when it gave up fixed wing aircraft. The arguments against their having fixed wing aircraft look good until the shooting starts and it is discovered once again that the USAF tactical support of troops on the ground isn't quite all it might be.

Michael

Still the pilot's professionalism is a credit. If that was a Yank there would have been screaming and expletives all over the place.

???

What kind of ignorant statement is that?

Woolley, also an air mission commander during the operation where he earned the Silver Star, is a CH-47 Chinook helicopter pilot.

In November 2009, Woolley and his crew were called for a casualty evacuation mission in Baghdis province, western Afghanistan. As Woolley and his crew approached the pick-up site, his left door gunner reported heavy tracer fire coming at them. Woolley and his co-pilot maneuvered to avoid the rounds.

Once they were able to land, ground troops began loading five wounded Soldiers on the aircraft. Very quickly, the aircraft began taking more enemy fire. With less than a minute on ground, insurgents fired a rocket propelled grenade at Woolley's Chinook. The round penetrated the nose, flew between the two pilots, and hit the flight engineer in the back of the head before coming to a rest inside the helicopter, unexploded.

Woolley and his crew continued to take a barrage of enemy fire, but Woolley directed the team to stay on ground until the last patient was loaded. Once the fifth patient was loaded, Woolley led the team out of the hot landing zone and back to a coalition base where the casualties could receive treatment.

After they determined the aircraft was still flyable, Woolley made the decision to conduct a second casualty evacuation of several wounded and dead Afghan National Army soldiers.

"I feel privileged," began Woolley. "I guess the best way to describe it is I feel the same as I did yesterday, but it is an honor to be recognized. I would've done it anyway, but it truly is an honor and a privilege to be wearing this on my chest."

"These two officers displayed great courage while under intense enemy fire, while serving as air mission commanders in support of combat operations in Operation Enduring Freedom," said Col. Paul W. Bricker, commander of the 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade. "They exemplify the tremendous commitment to our mission and join the long line of 82nd Airborne Division paratroopers recognized for valor in defense of our nation."

It doesn't say that the American didn't swear, Blackhorse!!

(Plus the Flight engineer, if he survived, would have a story to tell. "Yeah, I got hit in the head by an RPG round. But I'm OK.")

(Not to mention how bummed the Taliban RPG guy must have been. He's fired the perfect shot, watched it hit the front windscreen and then had that split second waiting for the Hollywood explosion....)

Whatever the U.S. government's current rhetoric about the repressive nature of the Taliban regime, its long history of intervention in the region has been motivated not by concern for democracy or human rights, but by the narrow economic and political interests of the U.S. ruling class. It has been prepared to aid and support the most retrograde elements if it thought a temporary advantage would be the result. Now Washington has launched a war against its former allies based on a strategic calculation that the Taliban can no longer be relied upon to provide a stable, U.S.-friendly government that can serve its strategic interests.

didn't we know that already??