Honk honk!

Well, it's not just you saying it's too hard; I think a lot of people have already commented on its difficulty. :)

***SPOILERS***

It seems like the main difficulty you're having is in keeping the soldiers alive long enough for the Marines to arrive. What I've found helps a lot is in realizing that, unlike normal, your soldiers actually do not have fire superiority over the enemy and acting accordingly. That said, I still think the mission may be too hard, so I'm dropping Red's OB somewhat.

Thanks guys. That made it feel MUCH better. I was able to secure a tactical victory and it still felt tough enough.

Got on to the second mission and THAT one was excellent. Really tough without losing. Nice balance. :)

And I'm glad I get to see the next few maps.

Cheers,

Gpig

Very much enjoyed the first two missions in this campaign. The second one is still difficult with the CAS in place. Took me several tries to complete it.

Has anyone played the third battle yet? I am in the middle of it (for the second time) and I have to say, WOW. Not to give away any spoilers, but did you guys really test this thing? I don't think I've ever been this badly outmatched in a battle. The first time through (well, not through...) I got completely destroyed, for the most part because I followed the briefing...the second time around, I am 'cheating' and have played from the outset with full knowledge of the Red side movements, extremely cautiously, and it is still on the brink. I'm playing the campaign version where you can't continue after a loss, and even if I get a win I'm not sure I will have sufficient forces left to see the campaign out, but I don't really know what I could do better except have more luck. Are there any other first timer impressions about this one?

I seriously think the designers may have overdone this battle a bit. The timing and placement of the Blue reinforcements is particularly discouraging :(.

Very much enjoyed the first two missions in this campaign. The second one is still difficult with the CAS in place. Took me several tries to complete it.

Has anyone played the third battle yet? I am in the middle of it (for the second time) and I have to say, WOW. Not to give away any spoilers, but did you guys really test this thing? I don't think I've ever been this badly outmatched in a battle. The first time through (well, not through...) I got completely destroyed, for the most part because I followed the briefing...the second time around, I am 'cheating' and have played from the outset with full knowledge of the Red side movements, extremely cautiously, and it is still on the brink. I'm playing the campaign version where you can't continue after a loss, and even if I get a win I'm not sure I will have sufficient forces left to see the campaign out, but I don't really know what I could do better except have more luck. Are there any other first timer impressions about this one?

I seriously think the designers may have overdone this battle a bit. The timing and placement of the Blue reinforcements is particularly discouraging :(.

Send me a PM with all the spoilers you want. We both playtested it, but I think we also already had the advance knowledge of the enemy positions! I'd be happy to tone down the enemy forces; just send me a PM and let me know what gave you the most problems, especially if you think it's unrealistic. :)

I agree, Stoex. That third mission is awesome at first. Excellent recce and exploration of the enemy objective that quickly turned into a wipe-out, first time I played it. I'm left wondering how on earth I can succeed a second time through. Cheating would be the only way, in my opinion. (By cheating, I mean having advance knowledge of enemy forces and pre-planning with that in mind.)

The resulting casualties may still be too horrific to allow advancement. Do let us know how you fare on the 2nd run-through.

Good luck!

Gpig

I agree, Stoex. That third mission is awesome at first. Excellent recce and exploration of the enemy objective that quickly turned into a wipe-out, first time I played it. I'm left wondering how on earth I can succeed a second time through. Cheating would be the only way, in my opinion. (By cheating, I mean having advance knowledge of enemy forces and pre-planning with that in mind.)

The resulting casualties may still be too horrific to allow advancement. Do let us know how you fare on the 2nd run-through.

Good luck!

Gpig

Heh. Looks like we were posting at the same time. I'd also like to hear from you if you don't mind writing me a PM. :)

Thanks FMB!

Explanation for others playing this campaign: The new versions include a tweak to mission 3 which removes the more aggressive of two AI plans (which is a real killer). The less aggressive AI plan should still offer a good challenge for most players. If you want the hardcore experience, go ahead and try the original version (where there is still a chance you will get the less aggressve plan. You WILL know if you get the aggressive one, trust me :) ). The other change is in the briefing, where the player is made more aware of the danger in this mission.

The other change is in the briefing, where the player is made more aware of the danger in this mission.

WHOOPS. Something for v1.5 then! :D

Sorry I forgot about implementing this. The AI plan change should enough for now; I'll fix it in the next patch. Play 1.4 for now with the knowledge that there is a nasty enemy force in Mission 3! :D

Sorry, FMB, didn't mean to embarrass you there. But you did say you would change the briefing, so I thought I would alert folks to it while I was explaining about the AI plan tweak. I know there are a few people out there who will give up on a battle or campaign when they get beaten badly, so I thought I would give them a heads up on the fact that the new version may be the better one for them.

For the record, I just finished the battle (original version, aggressive AI plan) with 2 KIA and 6 WIA and a dozen walking wounded. Took a few reloads during the battle, though, a couple for the simple reason that I forgot about my CAS and had some baaaad Blue-on-Blue blues. I will definitely replay this with the new version and without reloading just to make it more realistic than my recent success in GOD-vision. Downloading now as it just appeared on the repository, will also try the 'core force import' function again.

Hi All,

Ive just had my clock cleaned on the third mission

Mission 1: I think I got a draw

Mission 2: I got a tactical defeat.

Mission 3: I got bitch slapped on the counter attack.

The SMAW gunners are a waste of time, even when not suppressed

Mission 3 is is a toughie, I think it would be tacticly unsound, in semi open countryside to send a truck plt against a reinforced mech plt!!!!!

However in an urban setting, I think it would be a go.

I also think that if on a Brecon battle course, you were told to clear a village area of a reinforced mech plt(+) in 30mins, even with air support, it would need more time.

Whinging aside, I think the game needs more toughies like this, there must be a key to it, however it is escaping me at the moment!

Good campaign, even if I have cursed the designer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!