Operation Storm

Chops

Great AAR, and very interesting battle to simulate. I was interested to see that you did just about as well as the Soviets!

Those PPSh submachine guns must be really deadly in house to house fighting, Im sure they will make me look forward to the eastern front game even more!

Really an excellent AAR. Thanks Normal Dude!

Do the BMP-1's have smoke? I'm curious if you played this scenario in realtime or wego?

Can you tell us the relative experience levels of the palace troops versus the Alpha group?

What is your technique for room to room fighting in CM:A? (Or CMSF in general?)

Cheers,

Gpig

Since I happen to read a lot more details about real "Operation Storm 333" (because so much of it is in Russian language only) I can say that Normal Dude did an outstanding job recreating that mission to the last detail.

The terrain, the Palace, the weather, the troops and the balance - it's all too real!

ND,

Thanks for another great AAR. Question - it is a winter scenario, however, the vegetation represented is that of a non-winter climate. Will winter vegetation or lack there of, be in the final product?

The vegetation species in the scenario have been changed since that AAR was made.

Do the BMP-1's have smoke?

I don't believe these BMPs have smoke.

I'm curious if you played this scenario in realtime or wego?

I played in wego. Primarily because it makes taking screen shots easier. A scenario like this, would in my opinion best be played in real time, because there aren't a lot of units to manage and the actions needed are complex, so they can be adjusted on the fly.

Can you tell us the relative experience levels of the palace troops versus the Alpha group?

Alpha group spetznaz in this scenario are elite in experience and fanatic in motivation. After reading the accounts of the battle, that seemed to be the most appropriate setting. The palace bodyguards average around Green and Normal. I originally had them higher, but in testing it was always an absolute bloodbath for the Soviets so I adjusted them down. Probably more realistic as well.

What is your technique for room to room fighting in CM:A? (Or CMSF in general?)

Put multiple squads on every floor of the building, stacking side by side across the building. Use the vehicles outside to area fire on the building two building tiles ahead of my troops, and shift their fires as needed. Then HUNT the troops all at once, one building tile at a time, pausing 1-2 turns at every building tile. Basically, I take my time and use lots of area fire.

Since I happen to read a lot more details about real "Operation Storm 333" (because so much of it is in Russian language only) I can say that Normal Dude did an outstanding job recreating that mission to the last detail.

The terrain, the Palace, the weather, the troops and the balance - it's all too real!

It made for some very interesting reading researching this battle - most of it was Russian translated (poorly) by Google into English, and a lot of it was interviews from people who had been there.

Those PPSh submachine guns must be really deadly in house to house fighting, Im sure they will make me look forward to the eastern front game even more!

The PPSh's are BRUTAL. You hear one of those things go off in the spot next to your guys and you just cringe, waiting for the red circles to start popping up.

Did I mention almost all of the palace guards have one? :D

Even more brutal is the Shilka. Just... wow.