Any Bren Gun Carrier grogs about?

The area where I live (Southern UK) is dotted with the sites of Iron Age, Roman and Saxon settlements, so I tend to keep my eyes peeled while walking footpaths. Yesterday evening I spotted an interesting bit of iron poking out of the ground, and levering it out, discovered the object pictured here:

http://img831.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=tracklink02.jpg

I wonder, could this be a track link from a Universal Carrier? The size seems right (width: 9.5 inches).

Brilliant find mate.

I just find fossils when dig about.

Apart from a few years ago when we were up a mountain in Wales where a few planes had crashed over the years.I saw something sticking up out of some water and waded in to see what it was.Its turned out to be a bomb of some sort of something like a mortar or that sort of size. I stupidly dropped it and the ran away.It was only after wards that it thought why did i drop it?

We ended up taking it down the police station and they got the bomb disposal dudes to sort it

Thanks chaps. If the object is indeed a Carrier track link, I'm guessing (with the aid of some cursory Google-research) that's it the by-product of a track tightening session. It seems the Carrier's brake/warp steering system took its toll on track tension/condition and periodically crews would remove a link to keep everything taut.

>>Bingo Light Tank Mk VI.....track width 9.5 inches.

That's a lovely thought and not beyond the realms of possibility. Tidworth is about 15 miles up the road and there were definitely Mk VIs based there before and during the war:

http://www.qdg.org.uk/pages/Armament-59.php

When the Historic Military Vehicles Forum (http://www.hmvf.co.uk/) finally get around to approving my registration I may get a definitive verdict. A couple of the regulars look to be Carrier owners.

>>What a shame the rest of the tank isn't attached.

This weekend I'm heading back to the spot with a trowel and a can of petrol.

depending on where you found it might give you a clue . most of the south coast from the new forest down to south devon and cornwall was dedicated build up area for the normandy invasion .you might be able to find out which divisions or even regiments were in that area in 1944. alternatively send an email to duxford or bovinton .good luck .