Anyway to increase the LOD?

I notice the LOD is very near indeed. Roads aren't drawn fully half way along and plants vanish before to long.

Anyway to increase the draw distance?

I have a duo core running at 3.7, 2 gig of DDR3 ram and a 4870 1gig card.

Surely this is enough to have the options on max with out it effecting the draw distance...its hardly graphic intensive game...

Cool. I know I should have searched the forum first!

I have read its fixed for the CMN game. Being ignorant of programming I'd have thought it would easy to release some sort of congfig file that you could mess with like many other games.

Hi Wodan

I have a duo core running at 3.7, 2 gig of DDR3 ram and a 4870 1gig card

Unfortunately, CMSF is not optimised for dual or quad core processors so that cool duo core you're sporting there won't be giving you any real boost.

As for your query about LoD, I believe it is BFC's intention to allow players to choose this setting themselves in future titles. However, I suspect that most folks will keep it set appx where it is already, or even adjust it downwards when they see how much it will hit their frames per second.

its hardly graphic intensive game...

Agreed, but the real resource hogs are the LoS checks and computing each bullet's/projectile's trajectory in real time. That's what'll reduce your uber cool computer to the level of a Sinclair ZX-81 :D

Are there no plans to optimise for multi core processors?

After all it seems that processors arn't getting any faster really, just increasing the number of cores.

Sooner or later, they pretty much have to I would assume. This has also been brought up a few times in the past. I think the word was that nothing for CMSF and not CMN but after that, maybe.

Search would find more info probably.

Unfortunately, demanding an increase in draw distance is rather like demanding very large maps and improved shadows. Since processor burdon increases exponentially instead of linearly a 'little' improvement puts a lot of extra burdon on your system. I can move one anti-aliasing slider slightly on my ATI graphic card control panel and consistently shatter the game's on-screen 3-D image. So if you demand big maps they're obliged to decrease draw distance, if you demand increased draw distance they're obliged to accept fewer units on a map. Its a zero-sum game.

<ahem>

Unfortunately, demanding an increase in draw distance is rather like demanding very large maps and improved shadows. Since processor burdon increases exponentially instead of linearly a 'little' improvement puts a lot of extra burdon on your system....

So if you demand big maps they're obliged to decrease draw distance, if you demand increased draw distance they're obliged to accept fewer units on a map. Its a zero-sum game

No they're not, and nobody is talking about map size. They're just asking if they can draw the trees and other details at distances more than 600m or whatever. At present, the game doesn't allow them to do this but they're going to get this option soon enough and then it will be up to them where they set it.

MikeyD can you explain what actually happens to the 3d image when you increase AA?

Would be interested to know.

I always play with shadows off as the shadows aren't clean and flicker alot which I find detracts from the asthetic appeal.

Love this game though;)

There is a particullar forum and a particular website where the members constantly slag off CMx2 and Battlefront...so much I daren't even post there to say why I like the game. Such a shame that it has a core element of wargamers who are so anti CMx2 because its not CMx1.

As for it not using multiple cores, thats why I went for a duo core with a high output, I noticed quite a few games only use one processor so the faster a single core was the better was my thinking. 3.7 output for a core is pretty high.

The point is that a option to change the draw distance is a must have.

The more graphic options you have the better you can find the perfect balance between "looks great" and "is playable" !

On my PC i use a Phenom II X4 955 (C3) 4x 3.20GHz. Quite a few games use 4 cores today, and nearly all new games should use two cores at least. A CPU intensiv game like CMSF should have a support for 2 Cores at least, i can see this would give many peaople a huge boost in Performance !

I too turn the shadows off, not because i need the extra performance but because they dont look good, just like Wodin i think there is too much flickering.

Option to change draw distance of trees ect. <-- Must have for Normandy !

Support for 2 or 4 CPU Cores <-- Must have for any game beyond Normandy !

It's not just for the visual look either.

Say you're making your plan for a battle, you move your tanks forward, feck, where the hell did that forest come from? how do we get around that. If its not the actual trees themseleves there should be some indication that there are trees there like there are with the roads and trenches