CMAK vs CMBB

In the thread "I don't like wire" the perennial argument about which of the two games is preferable surfaced.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=92037

Unsurprisingly perhaps on a CMBB board there was a feeling that CMBB was preferable. On research last year at WeBoB I was seeing CMAK being roughly twice as often played as CMBB. I thought I would interrogate the BoBster [the statistics repository] to see what else I could learn.

With CMAK six players had over 100 games recorded, with CMBB only two, and CMBO seven players. Of the current players there are :

1903 CMAK

3462 CMBB

1835 CMBO

games in which they participated. Some of these would be against other current players and therefore you could divide by two for the actual games played. Unfortunately if their opponents are on leave from the club, or resigned, or be thrown out, then the maths is blown.1 : )

In the early years over 300 games would be recorded a month and nowdays it is more like 30 a month. I think other than more players, TCP/IP was much more common as CMBO was relatively simple to play quickly [and badly]. With the greater complexity of the following games and players getting more thoughtful TCP/IP or LAN became less attractive.

Just a bit more on the BoBster:

The BoBster was originally set up by Gustra I think when WeBoB the club started. In any event the first recorded game is 25th April 2001. Over the following years the criteria for being registered changed a bit so I think there may be a small problems with some of the figures and how they are derived.

Gustra disppeared and the newly renamed BoBster was taken over by Green As Jade who has improved it considerably and made all the workings and files available. This allows me to do some stuff but the file I just tried playing with is 20MB : ) and my spreadsheet said over 65000 rows so no go. I will have to sort out what I am doing wrong.

Anyway back to the story. There are 13504 games recorded and of those the vast majority are QB's - about 9681 in fact. As I said the picture is confused as at one stage players who left or were thrown out lost there records - though they may have remained in the database.

Therefore I am a bit fuzzy as to the precise figures. However 3012 games were scenarios. And 243 were in tournaments/tourneys/campaigns/birthday bashes.

As I have several other games installed on my PC at the moment I tend to only have one CM1 title installed at a time. Well as human nature is so pernicious I always want to play the one that isn't currently loaded! Yet I probably am quite happy to play either but a lot does depend on the quality and challenge of scenarios I end up playing. CMAK does have the problem though, and I'm sure I'm not alone in my thinking here, of being a passable but not tailored method of playing the ETO. I guess I just miss my Cromwells! Hey, maybe I love CMBO the most!

• 2 weeks later...