Why Use an M136/AT4 When You have a Javelin?

on RPG accuracy, don't forget that when you go up against Syrian regular forces, that the game assumes that they have had basic military training and they know how to operate their weapons.

A direct comparaison with the experience in Iraq is misleading. Most insurgents had no military training and did not know how to properly operate the weapon. You had many instances where users would forget to arm the round before loading it so that it would not detonate on impact.

on RPG accuracy, don't forget that when you go up against Syrian regular forces, that the game assumes that they have had basic military training and they know how to operate their weapons.

A direct comparaison with the experience in Iraq is misleading. Most insurgents had no military training and did not know how to properly operate the weapon. You had many instances where users would forget to arm the round before loading it so that it would not detonate on impact.

This notion was perhaps accurate in 03/04.....but was not the case at all by late 05/06/07...

I found this on RPG hit probabilities, apparently from a 1975 U.S. Army test:

Hit probabilities

A US Army evaluation of the weapon gave the hit probabilities on a 5 meter wide (15 feet), 2.5 meter tall (7.5 feet) panel moving sideways at 4 meters per second (9 miles per hour).[5]

Range........Percent

50 m...........100%

100 m..........96 %

200 m..........51 %

300 m..........22 %

400 m...........9 %

500 m...........4 %

I presume the shooter was a soldier with military experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-7

I don't know if anyone has data which is more recent or on point, but it seems consistent with what we see in game.

The table in David Isby's 1988 "Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Union"

cites:

Exposed, Stationary,

----------1st round-- 2nd round

50m...........98%........98%

100m..........91%.......95%

200m..........52%.......78%

300m..........27%.......56%

400m..........10%.......38%

500m............5%.......25%

Ha - flamingknives was too fast for me!

I would be interested to know how the increased weight of the newer warheads affects accuracy and range of the weapon. That 105mm tandem warhead is almost double the weight of the 85/93mm warheads. Do they use different sights? Do they upgrade the sustainer motor?

I suspect most of the relevant information is in Russian however.

Interesting... Thanks for posting Isby's information. I don't know if the size of Isby's target is the same as the size of the Wikipedia target, but the salient point gathered from comparing the two tables is that the target's motion status does not significantly alter the odds of a hit.

Ken

The target is an M60A3 tank at 30 degrees to the firer and an 11km/h cross-wind.

Furthermore, Isby quotes:

Exposed, moving, 2nd round only (1st is assumed to have a very low phit except at 100m or less, based on the supporting text)

50m..........97%

100m........90%

200m........55%

300m........27%

400m........16%

500m........6%

Ha - flamingknives was too fast for me!

I would be interested to know how the increased weight of the newer warheads affects accuracy and range of the weapon. That 105mm tandem warhead is almost double the weight of the 85/93mm warheads. Do they use different sights? Do they upgrade the sustainer motor?

I suspect most of the relevant information is in Russian however.

Yes, they have a very steep ballistic arc, the motor is pretty much the same AFAIK. Best for short range attacks. I believe the effective range is considered to be 200m (as opposed to around 500m for the single warhead rounds).

The RPG-29 fires pretty much the same warhead, but with a different motor for a longer effective range.