How good is the game?

I've been a fan of Battlefront for years, having played SC1, SC2 and the Pacific Campaign. My question is this, is Global Conflict just a combination of SC2 and the Pacific campaign or is it something much better/richer in experience?

Thanks

I would say it has good sides and bad sides compared to the previous ones.

The main good side is that it has more variety between games, because there are more options. The allies player can for example decide to leave the entire pacific to the Japanese and focus the US entirely upon Germany. Or the UK can choose to spend a lot of MPP on India to focus on Japan instead of Africa.

The main bad side is that the fronts are a bit too small to fight upon. Whereas in the original you could use a pincer movement in the Soviet Union for example, this is now not really possible anymore, because your units cover the whole front. This reduces the tactics that are required and makes, for example, surrounding towns before you capture them a much less viable strategy.

It also offers a few new features that make the game better, especially the new decision events are far better then those in the original. I really like the new damage calculations as well.

Unfortunately, some of the balance issues that were in the previous games are still in there, such as that certain technologies are nearly useless. I must say I am a bit disappointed that they were not fixed. It is after all the fifth SC 2 game and such things really ought to be removed by now.

Overall though, I do think that it adds something to the previous ones and that is worth the money.

The question reversed:

I've never played any Strategic Command games until this one and it's quickly become my go-to WWII game. I've never played the series before because my main interest is either in squad-level games like Advanced Squad Leader or strategic-level games like World in Flames. When it comes to the former, I like focusing on the ETO. When it comes to the latter, I like having both theaters.

Knowing how much I'm enjoying this Strategic Command game, do you guys think I'd like the previous editions with the more limited scope?

And coming from Hearts of Iron, I definitely agree with Wushuki about the scale. I hope the sequel to this game expands the fronts to allow more tactics.

Obviously you guys "missed it"........I'm referring to Nupremal's mod as I just spent about an hour scrolling around the map and having a look at both sides deployments and possibilities, fricken awesome!

Hope you have the time to play this monster it looks very captivating and will require a very substantial time committment, but knowing Nupremal's mods, it will be way worth it.:)

I haven't gotten into any mods yet. I like to play games vanilla for awhile before getting into mods. Especially when I'm still learning the system. I'll check out the Nupremal Mod soon, though.

So, on a whim I decided to go ahead and grab the Nupremal Mod. I wanted to just see some screenshots of the map or read a description of the differences but that doesn't seem to exist anywhere that I looked. There appears to be no documentation at all, really.

I only scrolled around the map a bit but, wow, it's terribly impressive. I'm going to keep learning using the default map but I think once I get some skill with Strategic Command, this mod will be my default.

Does anyone have a link to some documentation? Perhaps something describing the differences other than just the larger and more detailed map?