internet play - loss of graphics but is ok against AI

When palying against a friend on the web i lose my GUI and the pop up windows when you click on units to give orders. The buttons still work is just all goes single colours and just have to click and move mouse about till i find it. All 3D graphics ok and when alt tabbing in regular AI play I get no problems????

Are you doing anything differently when you're playing via TCP/IP, i.e. - such as loading up applications in the background before launching CM, switching out of CM and using another application, etc. ?

I believe something similar has occurred in the past. The only thing I can recall off hand though is that a video driver update may have fixed the issue (I believe it was with Nvidia chipsets). What videocard and driver do you have loaded up ?

sorry forgot to add no dialogue box pops up, what happens usually is that i am using msn, I see my mate, i give him the IP address of my computer as it changes with my DSL connection. (cant connect to him hes using pc-cillin another thread lol) I then launch program, have alt tabbed after setting scenario to tell him to try to join.

I wouldn't suspect that the latest Catalyst drivers would fix this problem. The latest version is 4.12 for XP.

Are you using Rage3D Tweak ? I know that turning off the "Z Mask" acceleration helps with certain performance issues related to units that have been selected in CM.

Can you turn off/disable the McAfee Firewall, and maybe even the antivirus, temporarily ? I know McAfee antivirus is a common problem during the install of CM. Make sure both are updated.

I don't know what to think about MSN. I believe it requires an app to sign in, doesn't it ? I guess calling that up is unavoidable. You may want to check that you have the latest version (hoping that it would fix issues rather than cause them).

I can only guess that some sort of app in the background is causing this interference if the game plays normally in single player mode.

What Schrullenhaft said.

Try turning off the firewall for a test. I think it might attempt and only partially succeed in popping up things on the screen.

And try to dial in to adifferent provider for a test.

Did you install special "access" software for MSN (e.g. a CD or downloaded software) or did you just configure it manually?

I will try the rage tweak app. I am on dsl in england so is on before i turn game on, also have gone into mcafee and made it an allowed program.

The actual units and battle is all ok is just all the interface goes wrong. Will have ago but may be a while before i can try again and post back. thanks again for your help smile.gif