Stuff you may want to include in Patch 2

Hello,

I have been happily playing the game. Haven't done any mods or installed the patch until it is finished but here are some things I noticed over the last two days of game play:

1. The U.S. is still neutral. It isn't at war with either Japan or Germany. However, that didn't stop two U.S. armies from invading a Japanese controlled Papua New Guinea. That's a glitch. :eek:

2. Coastal Hexes. If a Japanese or German navel vessel parks of a coastal hex (part land/part sea) controlled by the U.S. than it can be attacked. Doesn't spark a war but it's open to be struck at. This happened both off the coast of the Philippines and the Eastern U.S. Seaboard. The vice versa is also true. An American sub parked off a coastal hex of Japanese Controlled Brunei. I blew it out of the water. Nice. Hmmm. I'm not sure this is an actually a glitch and is kinda historical once you know it can happen. Example: Japanese mini-sub was attacked by U.S. off Hawaiian coast before Pearl Harbor attack. Also, didn't the Japanese attacked a U.S. Ship near Nanking when they were invading China and called it an "oops" later?:cool:

3. I mentioned before that U.S. forces could cross or be built on the Canadian side of the border near Seattle and Boston. I found another place. The tile just south of Winnipeg.

4. I read in an earlier post about the U.S. Navy should be restricted to inside the Monroe Doctrine lines. I have come to agree with that assessment as the U.S. navy was really disruptive and practically infusing itself into Japanese U.K. battles. This happened when the Japanese invaded Australia. there must of been a dozen U.S. transports off the Australian coast and it made it difficult for Japanese to land their forces. Also, when the Japanese went to finish off the British Indian navy near Madras the Placement of U.S. ships made them difficult for the Japanese to attack.:mad:

5. No Surrender! When Churchill said the British wouldn't surrender he meant it. The Italians have conquered South Africa. However, two South African Corps outside of Rhodesia fought on until the end. Also, British India was conquered by Japan but the British Indian navy stayed in play and had to be destroyed in combat. Hmmm, I'm not sure that's unhistorical or unrealistic either?:confused:

1. I'd have to see the turn in question to know for sure if it is a glitch or not, do you happen to have it so I cold take a look?

2. This would indeed be the normal behaviour

3. If the US and the UK do not share a common enemy this would be an error which would have been corrected with the first patch, but if they do share a common enemy then this is possible. If not then it may be another possible bug but I would have to see the turn in question to know for sure.

4. It would be helpful to know if this was before or after the US became fully mobilized.

If it is prior to full mobilization then when the US Navy leaves this area it does reduce its readiness which can be very important during Multiplayer games as it would delay US entry. If however the Axis player declares war against the Philippines or the US itself then this is moot but at that point it is more the choice of the Axis player etc.

Does this not apply in your game?

5. I'd argue that this would not be too ahistorical or unrealistic ;)

Hi Geofighter

Thanks for the observations.

1. I'm not sure what might have caused this as I think that the US should automatically be at war with at least one of the Axis powers. Have you been playing the AI or against another human?

2. This is correct, because if territorial waters are violated then the violating naval units can be legitimately attacked. It's therefore best to steer clear of them until you're ready to go to war. In one of my games I had a lot of pleasure in sinking a Japanese naval unit that was scouting out my forces before he was actually ready to declare war. :D

3. Interesting. I think we'll have to look into this.

4. If the US were at war with Japan (as one would expect it should have been) then I wouldn't have thought this was a problem, because US units interfering with the Japanese navy's operations would be what we'd expect. So I think the real issue that you've mentioned is point 1, about the US not being at war with the Axis!

5. Regarding the fighting spirit of the British, I don't think that the British in India and the South Africans were likely to give up any easier. Would the Royal Navy in the Indian Ocean have really been likely to surrender to Japan if it could escape to friendly ports?

As Always Hubert and Bill, you guys are great! I love the response I get from Battlefront. You'll be happy to know I bragged on your game and your company to another computer gaming coworker the other day. I showed him your website and the free demo download. Hopefully he'll be taken in as I was.:)

Thanks for your responses. Here are my replies:

1. I'm playing against the AI right now. The AI is the allied player, I'm the Axis. I just sent Hubert the turn file that show's both armies in Papua New Guinea at support@battlefront.com. I addressed to you. Thanks. The U.S. is neutral and is not at war with anyone. It is, however, fully mobilized.

2. Cool to know. I'll play smarter in the future. Lost an Italian battleship off the U.S. Coast. Took me by surprise!:eek:

3. The U.S. and Britian do not have a common enemy so this is a glitch. I wish I had saved that turn but apparently I played right through it before saving, Doh! Hopefully the first patch has fixed it.

4. The U.S. is not at war with the Axis but it hangs out in front of Commonwealth ports even when they don't share a common enemy. It is at 100% mobilization however. I argue that limitations on the U.S. navy's deployment/range of opperations be scriptable to the players who can then choose how active they would like the U.S. navy to be.:D

5. I don't disagree on the navel units not surrendering but the South African army? Hmmm, perhaps there is too much of respect/level for anglophilia going on. :rolleyes: The South Africans should go down just like any other minor country that is conquered. Especially if Britian has already gone down. My opinion only, still a fun game even if they do stick out until defeated.

Cheers and thanks. Hope your new baby is doing well and business is good.:)

Geofighter