New computer advice

I want to buy a new computer to update my middle-aged Compaq K6-2 533. I'm sort of interested in a Dell Dimension 8200 with a P4 1.8 gig. (You can look at it here if you're interested.

I would be interested in any comments people here might have about the dell.

There are two main problems with my compaq that I would like to correct by getting a dell. First, my compaq doesn't have an AGP slot, which I know the dell does. Second, because of the weird compaq form factor, I'm not able to upgrade the compaq buy purchasing an off the rack mobo and simply replacing what I have. Does anyone know if this will be a problem with the dell?

Thanks.

The Dell you're looking at should work fine with CMB0/CMBB. The only issue that I've seen that may be Dell-specific has been something about what Dell loads up into the copies of Windows that they install on their computers (though this isn't a universal problem). Somehow something interferes with the movie playback, causing some sort of 'funkiness' with the timer and consequently the animations (I believe this happens if you fast forward or reverse). The thread right below this one has links to the thread where people had this problem. The solution ended up being to completely remove the Dell-installed OS and reinstalling the OS from scratch (without all of the Dell extras).

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

...I'm not able to upgrade the compaq buy purchasing an off the rack mobo and simply replacing what I have. Does anyone know if this will be a problem with the dell?

Thanks.<hr></blockquote>

I'm pretty sure that a couple of Dell's that were laying around at work were not upgradeable with a new mobo because of the mounting within the Dell case and the power supply using a proprietary connector. At least that was the case with Dell computers a couple of years ago. Not sure if that is still the case. Of course you could always replace the power supply with a generic one and maybe the case if that is still needed smile.gif .

I just got a Dell 4300, 1.7G, XP, SB Live!, and Nvidia Ti200 and this has been an awesome platform for CM (other then the plenty mentioned Nvidia graphics issue which is just an annoyance and not Dell related). The graphics are incredible and game play is real fast now. I can take on a monster game now no problem. I have had no XP compatability issues other then a little problem with Excel 97...

That's good to know about the Dell. My biggest concern is about upgradeability, though: if I could easily replace the motherboard on my current computer now, I wouldn't feel the need to buy a completely new one for another couple of years. So I want to make sure that the next computer I buy gives me that option, so that in two more years I can simply buy a new motherboard/CPU combo. (Which at that time will probably have something like an 8 gig CPU).

That's good to know about the Dell. My biggest concern is about upgradeability, though: if I could easily replace the motherboard on my current computer now, I wouldn't feel the need to buy a completely new one for another couple of years. So I want to make sure that the next computer I buy gives me that option, so that in two more years I can simply buy a new motherboard/CPU combo. (Which at that time will probably have something like an 8 gig CPU).<hr></blockquote>

My advice is to avoid the major brands and either build a computer yourself (assuming you have the technical know-how) or get one from a smaller computer retailer. The prices are usually better (example: you can get a comparable system from www.unitedmicro.com for around $950), you can always upgrade it since they don't use special cases, power supplies etc. and they don't load em up with spyware.

BTW I'd go with the Athlon if you can, rather than the P4.

I've done a little shopping at some computer builders in town and found this quote, for $925, which looks pretty good to me:

1.53Ghz 266FSB AMD XP CPU w/ 256KB Cache

ASUS A7V266 Socket-A ATX Motherboard

256MB PC2100 DDR RAM

80GB UltraATA/100 HardDrive 7200RPM

16X DVD-ROM w/ Software

16X/10X/40X CD-RW w/ Adaptec V5.0 Software

1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive

64MB GeForce2 MX AGP Graphics Accelerator Card

Ambient 56K PCI Data/Fax V.90 Modem

On-Board PCI Sound System

2-Serial / 1-Parallel / 2-USB Ports

Deluxe ATX Mid Tower Case w/ 300W Power Supply

Any comments on this system? Are there any upgrades that it might be worthwhile to make? (I plan to use the monitor and sound card from my current PC in this one.)

I've done a little shopping at some computer builders in town and found this quote, for $925, which looks pretty good to me:

1.53Ghz 266FSB AMD XP CPU w/ 256KB Cache

ASUS A7V266 Socket-A ATX Motherboard

256MB PC2100 DDR RAM

80GB UltraATA/100 HardDrive 7200RPM

16X DVD-ROM w/ Software

16X/10X/40X CD-RW w/ Adaptec V5.0 Software

1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive

64MB GeForce2 MX AGP Graphics Accelerator Card

Ambient 56K PCI Data/Fax V.90 Modem

On-Board PCI Sound System

2-Serial / 1-Parallel / 2-USB Ports

Deluxe ATX Mid Tower Case w/ 300W Power Supply

Any comments on this system? Are there any upgrades that it might be worthwhile to make? (I plan to use the monitor and sound card from my current PC in this one.)<hr></blockquote>

My comment is that getting this machine with those specs for that amount of cash is a really great deal. That machine should rock. Does it include the operating system or any other software?

Check to see if they are offering the ASUS A7V266-E, it is a motherboard that utilizes the VIA KT266A chipset which is quite a bit better than the standard KT266 chipset (which is on the first version of the A7V266). The price difference is worth it (though I don't know what the availability of this board may be).

The onboard audio is probably a CMedia 8738, a 6 channel audio chip, which should work fine. Nothing overly special about this audio chip, but it will do the job for games.

The 1.53GHz CPU I assume is the Athlon XP1800.

The 64Mb GeForce2 MX is pretty nice, you may want to inquire what the pricing might be on upgrading to a GeForce2 Titanium 64Mb or a GeForce3 Titanium 200. Either of these cards will probably be noticeably faster than the MX.

Thanks for the info. I've thought about upgrading the video card to a Geforce 3, but haven't decided yet. The motherboard tip is something I didn't know about and very helpful.

Here's a link to the place I found this computer:Indiana Computer Factory

It's local for me, but it looks like they might do some mail order. I don't think that the prices include the OS. If my work schedule fits, I'm going to drop by there tomorrow.

Well, I went to the computer place today and put in my order for the system described above. I should be able to pick it up next Wednesday (except that's a busy day at work, so I'll have to get it on Thursday) :( .

The 1.53GHz CPU is the Athlon XP1800. I asked about the ASUS A7V266-E; the guy said that he didn't have any in stock, that he could order one, but that he really wasn't certain that he could get one in the next couple of weeks, as the supply was still sort of spotty. He did mention that someone else asked about one yesterday.

I held off on the GeForce 3 so I can give myself a present in a couple of months. Although maybe there will be a GeForce 4 out by then...

[Edit] Oh, I found out the problem with upgrading Dells. According to Scott Mueller's newest PC book, it looks like you can upgrade a Dell normally because they use ATX motherboards. BUT, their motherboards (since sept. 98, apparently) have a different power supply pin arrangement than a normal ATX motherboard. Even worse, the pin arrangement is not different in a way that means that the power supply won't fit, it's different in that it will fit, but will fry the motherboard or burn out the power supply (or both) if you attach a non-dell motherboard to a dell power supply, or vice versa. That, obviously, is very bad, and evil on Dell's part, to boot. Apparently you can get around this by purchasing a new power supply when you want to get a new motherboard, and then installing both. But that's a pain.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Andrew Hedges ]</p>

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to thank everyone who helped me choose a new computer. I picked up the Athlon XP described above about two weeks ago, and and it has been working very well. The case looks very nice, and the cd burner, which I had expected to be a no name generic turned out to be a plextor, which works extremely well ... much better than my old burner, and much faster.

I'm very pleased with how well CM (and my other programs) run on this computer, and I feel like I've finally gotten my money's worth for the large monitor I bought a couple of months ago.

I downloaded and ran the 3DMark2001 benchmark program on my new computer and my old computer (it's funny how buying an improved computer makes you want to do this). This computer gave me a 2908; the old one gave me a 725. And I thought CM played okay (except for large battles) on the old one. I guess it just depends on what you get used to.

I know that some GeForce 3 cards have 3DMark scores around 7000. I can't even imagine what that means, really. But I'm still thinking of upgrading to that when CMBB comes out. :D

Anyway, as I said, I'm very happy with the computer, and thanks to everyone.