Axis Woes

Hello,

I have been playing the Axis in the 1939 campaign. I have restarted the campaign several times as I kept getting my butt kicked but each time I get a little better and a little wiser. Experience is a good teacher.:)

However, I'm getting the feeling this scenario is really biased to the allies a bit much but this may just be my "poor players gripe."

Here's what's aching me. It's early 1944. As Japan I have conquered China and have kept the U.S./U.K. from jumping into the war with me by just not taking Chunking until the very end (Oh, and Vietnam after the fall of France). Otherwise, I leave them alone and they leave me alone as I get ready to jump into Russia which I figure will also bring in the U.S./U.K. as they are allies.

However, the U.S. Attacks the Dutch East Indies and all of a sudden they are at war with Japan. I even went back a saved turn before they declared war and turned off the belligerance script that would allow the U.S. to declare war on Japan.

Yet, the U.S. still declares war on the Dutch East Indies and that also becomes war on Japan just the same. It's a "loophole" around the belligerance script.

What I can't find is a script that I can deactivate for the U.S. or U.K. to not declare war on the DEI. Is there such a script? If so, where? If not, then how can avoid a U.S./U.K. war until Japan attacks them or one of their allies? :confused:This has me very miffed!:mad:

Help welcome.

Hi Geofighter

Once you've actually started a game you can't turn any scripts on or off, so the situation you're in cannot be changed in this game.

I imagine that the AI got a little impatient waiting for you to invade the DEI! If the next time you play you didn't want this situation to happen, you will have to go into the AI scripts in the editor and start looking at all those scripts, editing where necessary. I would be a little careful though because doing it wrong could have wider ramifications, so any changes you make should only really be used in a game where you want to recreate a similar scenario to the one in your current game, i.e. if in your next game you want to play Japan more aggressively, I wouldn't change a thing.

I must admit that I'm rather intrigued by your passive approach with Japan.

Are you sure on the scripts? I turned off the "Italians go to war on Greece" during the gane and it didn't happen. I should also add that the Solomons mobilized then prepared for war so perhaps I need to look for a Soloman's script.

I wouldn't say I'm playing the Japanese passively, Just finishing what they started. By 1944 they have conquered China, even with an oil embargo, have a bunch of research developments and have a army groups poised to strike at Russian cities along the Manchurian border and Central Asia. The Japanese Navy is in excellent shape. After the first turn of war with the allies we took out 3 U.S. Carriers and a battle ship, all coastal Russian cities and only one border city is left to take. The Japanese have 4 armys with HQ pourring into Central Asia and it has forced the Russians to pull away from the Eastern front so the Germans have gotten a much needed break!

Cheers,

Geofighter

Just to clarify on the scripts, in Multiplayer games Bill is right they cannot be disabled once a game begins, but in AI games so long as the 'Allow Changes' option is enabled then the EVENT scripts can indeed be turned on or off in game, but of course only for those that have yet to fire.

Regarding the AI declaring war on the Dutch East Indies this is likely the US AI Amphibious scripts in action and the reason it draws Japan into the war is that Japan is the Axis parent of the DEI, so in effect by the US invading the DEI it ends up declaring war on Japan as well.

If you crack open the Editor I would suggest saving a copy of the main campaign as a custom version using 'SaveAs' in order to preserve the original and after that turn off the US Amphibious scripts for the DEI and Brunei by setting the FLAG= 1 value to FLAG= 0. There might be more but that is the easiest way to probably achieve what you are after.

That being said, I am intrigued by your strategy as well!

Hmm, Sorry Hubert, I don't think I've found it. I went into my C: > Battlefront > Global Conflict > 1939 world at war folder > Scripts > AI > Amphibious (and Amphibious minor).

The closest thing I found were three scripts that say "Allies Librarate the Dutch East Indies." When I looked at the 3rd script it did not put any stipulation on allignment/surrender status for the Dutch East Indies. However, the DEI is an unaligned neutral when attacked. Is this the script I'm looking for?

Cheers and thanks to you and Bill101 for responding.

Geofighter

Thanks again for your reply, Hubert.

I highly recommend that in the next patch you make it an script option for the U.S. to attack DEI/Brunei and any other pacific neutral that can be checked Yes or No to allow war to be declared. I say this because:

1. It gives the AI for the U.S. a "Loophole" around an unchecked belligerence option for the the U.S. to declare war on Japan.

2. It will avoid someone like me who is not a "techie" going into the scripts and trying to mess with them to get the option on wants.

Cheers,

Geofighter

Hi Geofighter,

Thanks for the comments and I'll be honest as that would be really hard to do right now on my end as it would require quite a few changes to just how we have everything set up.

The problem is that there is no way for me (currently) to specify in the AMPHIBIOUS or other similar AI scripts to only engage if two nations are at war, i.e. such as if Japan and the US are at war. On the other hand most of these events to check to see if these nations, i.e. such as the DEI are surrendered so if you do not invade the DEI then the US will not attack triggering the war with Japan.

Granted, this is not the best solution but it would otherwise be very difficult to make these types of changes as you suggest as there are simply too many strategies to anticipate to get all them all right.

Hubert