Odds on the black hole.....

People and their doomsday imaginations, will it ever end?

This is an interesting experiment,and i`m not a science geek,far from it,but I am trying to keep informed on the info they get out of this thing.What a phenomenon,pure magic.

My biggest fear would be,what kind of new weapon of mass destruction will they produce out of this new knowledge.

People and their doomsday imaginations, will it ever end?

This is an interesting experiment,and i`m not a science geek,far from it,but I am trying to keep informed on the info they get out of this thing.What a phenomenon,pure magic.

My biggest fear would be,what kind of new weapon of mass destruction will they produce out of this new knowledge.

What's a good place to go to read up on it, actually?

In all likelihood, even if a black hole was formed, it would be too small to devour the Earth. Not all black holes are star system eating giants, a two proton black hole wouldn't have much of an effect on us. In fact, it has already happened before.

In march 2005, scientists working on the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider in Upton, New York created a fireball that indeed looked awfully much much like a black hole.

It was unstable. In fact, it wasn't even a real black hole. Or so the scientists involved say. Perhaps the first man-made black hole is on its way to the center of the planet already!

http://www.exitmundi.nl/blackholes_lab.htm

It was unstable. In fact, it wasn't even a real black hole. Or so the scientists involved say. Perhaps the first man-made black hole is on its way to the center of the planet already!

Probably not, at least not if Hawking is right, as such a tiny black hole would "evaporate" within tiny fractions of a second.

Martin

What's a good place to go to read up on it, actually?

I come across some info from documentaries and scientist interviews I see on TV, and read about it in the paper once in a while,Wiki has always got some good info as Stalin's Organist pointed out, but i just try and pay attention for new info when the topic comes my way.I have yet to come across some good info of what they learned yet from smashing the particles together.

Here's one good site that provides much info, but all you really need to do is google it :)

http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

Small animation

http://hands-on-cern.physto.se/ani/acc_lhc_atlas/lhc_atlas.swf

I heard there's a rumor that there might even be a black hole in our Galaxy behind the sun, and that's whats making us spin around.You never know:)

Nox when has it ever been otherwise?

It was postulated in 1934 apparently....to explain some stuff that didn't work according to relativity or somesuch....and relativity only "appeared" in 1905.....and it was another 40 years before it was accepted as real sicence?

So for 70 years we thought we knew everything??