taking Hawaii

It can be done, pic below. I've since held out against only one AI counterattack so far, having later loaded up with fighters and tac bombers:

hawaii_captured_aug_1942r.png

BTW, this is my first SC since number 1. I'm liking the refinements, especially how carriers now work.

It's now mid-1945, USSR finally surrendered a full year after I had taken all of the capitals, and Britain is overrun. China went some time ago.

Next, Canada and India.

Good going! I'm in Summer of 43 as the Allies, China is on it's last legs, Russia is in a very tough spot, U-boats rule the Atlantic waves, and the US just started it's island hopping campaign taking Tarawa. Looks to be a Axis victory for sure. I'm wondering about those Japanese units in China (21 ground combat units, plus HQ's & air units, plus 3 or more in Mongolia!) Sheesh!

Not unless I'm bragging about how good the AI is!! :-0

china is now out of the war, Russia is about gone, and the US is charging across the pacific. Ought to be interesting!

The AI is a lot better than in the first version of SC. But it's still not as crafty or unpredictable as a seasoned human.

Your carriers can decimate the US ships and transports, just keep a mix of naval/tactical and fighter modes. Assuming that you got at least as lucky with tech as the US!

Good stuff on taking Hawaii.

I'd be interested to know what other strategy you employed as the Japanese player re: China/Burma, etc... Did you sacrifice westward expansion to conquor the east (ie Hawaii)? What levels were you playing at?

And, last question, where did you download the nice unit icons?:)

Cheers...

Canada1

My Axis strategy in the Pacific has been to just hold China, and go island hopping. I've done well so far, grabbing nearly every Allied island in the west Pacific, seized New Zealand, and have about the eastern half of Australia.

One possible thorn: that Australian HQ in Canberra is one tough nut to crack. It's entrenchment is zero, but I can barely cause any losses to it in spite of two carriers whaling at it continuously, and a ground unit next to it isn't doing much better. :confused:

China is building up quite a bit but the Japs are holding. One problem though: Once I started Operation Sealion into England, the Russians declared war on Germany, and I had the Japs declare war on Russia in support, so things could get pretty interesting for Japan in Asia, depending on the Russian reaction toward Manchuria. This is in September of 1940.

I've done this Hawaiian thing and I must say its smart to take out Christmas Island also as the USA will station Bombers there and commence incessant sorties. My invasion occurred with the surprise attack and it wasn't long before my opponent showed up with subs and raised havoc with my stationed Kido Butai which eventually caused me to abandon the vicinity of IJN.:(

I just can't wait till those deadly double strike CVs turn up with advanced aircraft flying from their decks and decimate my slow reacting Zeros who have pilots that like to stay in bed half the day.:D

This beautiful island is a treacherous graveyard of Japanese assets, it's like the Sirens to Ulysses' ears.;)

I'd be interested to know what other strategy you employed as the Japanese player re: China/Burma, etc... Did you sacrifice westward expansion to conquor the east (ie Hawaii)? What levels were you playing at?

I play at the defaults; no point in making life harder than it has to be ;)

Sweep down the Chinese coast and take nanning; from there, taking the rest of china is slow and methodical but straightforward - keep your troops motorized, pay attention to supply (yours and the enemy's), and attack only when it will be decisive. Then ease up to India in preparation for the late game.

What I gave up was the Philippines etc until late game. Took Wake, Nauru, Agana to deny easy staging areas and get some production. Christmas island I left alone and had no trouble with, perhaps due to anti-air precautions as below.

Also as mentioned, after taking Hawaii, exit the harbour of all naval assets. I lost two BB's the first time around in the counter attack. If the town and harbours are upgraded to a decent aa level and you have two fighters to fly intercepts and one tac bomber to harass the attackers, you should be safe from the AI without your navy.