Global questions

These are some things that have happened that make me wonder if a patch is needed.

Love the game, though.

I took every city in France and there were NO french alive in France, yet France did not surrender. I know the formula, but really, shouldn't this be impossible?

I sailed my british fleet to PROTECT Norway from German Invasion. There was a battle with British and Germans north of Denmark. After the turn, Norway joined Germany because I was in the Norway-German convoy lane?

I've got Chinese units in China that can't move into a city right next to them for months...

Was the terrain really this harsh?

All of Japan was taken, every tile. The Japanese continue to fight from Korea? Do you think that would have happened?

My french units cannot be disbanded, is this intentional? Will I be able to disband Italians when the "end is near"?

I struggled and struggled to finally take a Chinese city, then when I did the Army reappeared at full strength? Pretty demoralizing. Historical? I could see a part strength army, or a corps. This would mean that nobody died.

Maybe I can answer a few of these from my perspective.

The French not surrendering is interesting and not quite historical, but historically plausible; therefore to me this adds uncertainly and excitement and avoids routine.

Yes, to make the UK stay away from Norway there has to be a game penalty; otherwise the RN sits off the coast and prevents a Norwegian invasion or U Boats escaping to the Atlantic. If you reverse the penalty, then the human player may have too much of an advantage. I think this adds playability to an Allied AI game.

The China situation is slow going for the Japanese. The current design of East Asia provides the Japanese with a strategic choice: hold China & build a fleet, or build a larger army and take all of East Asia.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Robert

I sailed my british fleet to PROTECT Norway from German Invasion. There was a battle with British and Germans north of Denmark. After the turn, Norway joined Germany because I was in the Norway-German convoy lane?

Well this is one side of the medal. The other is: Norway feels threaten by Allied Naval Units raiding in Norways Territorial Waters it's International Trade Relations with Germany. The "protecting" , or simply the Allied Naval Presence can also bee interpreted like a harassement.

In point of view of both Powers, each tried to "protect" Norway from the others Agression...:D

so is history seen from the beginning up to our days...;) Probably each Nation with foreign trade would try to protect it's international trade links, so i think this is "normal" behaviour, maybe an aditional waring to stay away could be helpful.

-In France you have probably denied the question if Vichy France should be installed or not.

-If you raid norwegian freighters, well, what do you think might the proper answer be if not to declare war on the pirate?

-Disbanding: yes, as far as i know it is interntional, as in SC1 people tried to cash in ALL of them to fill the Allied war chest. Hubtert explained this again very recently in another thread here.

I did not say no on vichy because france did not surrender. Update, they did the next turn.

So, since my ships are raiding the convoy by norway, how about we have a silent mode like the subs for ships and bombers? But what carvarrt says makes sence, you should not be able to totally block the german units from leaving, which kinda was my intention!

Can I disband Italians when the allies invade?

So, since my ships are raiding the convoy by norway, how about we have a silent mode like the subs for ships and bombers?

it's quite difficult to simulate "territorial waters", this is i.e. adressed in the "Pan American Neutrality Zone", for other Naval movements, one could try to behave "inoffensiveley", this applies in several Unit Positions where "agressive" positions may trigger reactions.

To Illustrate modernly: If Iran would move it's Naval Fleet on shore of New York, this could possibly be seen as Agressive, similarly US fleets in the Gulf of Persia may be seen as agressive as well from Iran...

in few words: Mostly a common sense movement prevent undesired reactions.

Silent Mode is there not the problem, but the fact of Military Presence in Territorial Waters.

Talking of convoys, something cropped up in the game I've just finished against the AI which might need looking at.

As the Axis I did a Sealion, and then took Murmansk to cut of the US-USSR convoy. The convoy switched to the Pacific, but in its place a "ghost" convoy appeared from occupied UK to Murmansk. Later, after I took Australia (where the UK had moved its capital to), another "ghost" convoy appeared from Canada to Murmansk.

These convoy lines were marked on the map in grey, and of course they never functioned.

BTW, one typo in the map: the city near the Urals should be Omsk, not Orsk.

I should add it's a great game, and I'm having a grand time with it. Thanks and kudos all round!

I played a game where France didn't surrender (Paris occupied) when all but left a one UK unit in NE France and a weak French unit near Maginot. When they did surrender on the allied turn.. got almost nothing or for plunder. Was ready to surrender at that point.

France should surrender (offer Vichy) when Paris is taken... end of story. IMO, anything else is ridiculous and will cause large balance issue for the Axis later in the game