What's up with this sim??

I am experiencing the slide show effect when playing the campaign that so many others have complained about. This really stinks.

I haven't seen this since the old DOS days with Jane's Advanced Tactical fighters. Back then it was the result of having a slow video card and not enough RAM and processor. I have an nVidia 9800GT video card with 1 Gig onboard RAM, 4 Gig of system RAM, and dual Intel Xeon 3.4 Gig processors running in Windows XP 64bit. I THINK I have enough juice to run this sim.:rolleyes:

I've run much more system-intensive games with no problem at all. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised this sim was released with this many obvious problems in it. C'mon, weren't there any beta testers before this thing went gold? This seems to be a common practice nowadays. Release a half-complete sim and then let the consumer be the beta tester.

For $45 I expect a sim that might have a couple of bugs, that is unavoidable, but not one that is barely playable. Maybe this sim is acceptable in Russia, but the rest of the world expects to get some playability for their money. Especially in this day and age when money is tough to come by.

Salute Deputy,

Welcome to the Battlefront Forums. Aside from questions concerning this particular game feel free to rip around the whole site and enjoy using the search engine. In regards to your query; no one here aside from Dev's has an answer for you.

I too suffer low frame rates. I've noticed that once I've passed a certain point in a scenario that is tied to a campaign the frame rates jump through the roof. The only thing I can attribute to this increase in workload is some type of landscape change.

There is a lot of computations going on in this game and once certain triggers are set off or conditions met by the player it seems that the landscape doubles in math and fubars all events after said events and/or triggers are initiated.

I'm a great lover of sims. My personal favorite is Steelbeasts Pro PE. I have long wished for the visual level of TOW combined with the insane code in SB Pro PE as given by eSim (God Bless Al).

As a reference to graphic power I run Silent Hunter 5 around 80% of maximum with no slowdowns so the problem with low frame rates is not with your rig. Relax Brutha, the dudes in charge will work it out. It may take a year or so but in the end you will be pleased.

Take care.

Shiftz: I understand what you are saying. I have SHIII and it works great. I refuse to buy SH5 because of the requirement to be online to play. If Ubisoft has that little trust in it's customers, then they can keep their games. I use the Grey Wolves mod for SHIII and the game looks and works great. Ubisoft is another company that expects the gamers to be the beta testers and the modders to make the sim right. Another big $$ sim that is loaded with bugs.

Sorry for being so new and griping so much, but I shelled out $45 for something that obviously ISN'T ready for normal gameplay. The graphics in this are real nice. But good graphics isn't a substitute for bad game play. One year to get it fixed? They need to shelve the new releases and get this thing fixed faster than that.

Have you played Close Combat: Cross of Iron? While the graphics aren't as spectacular, the gameplay is flawless.

And thanks for thr welcome. I wish it could be under better circumstances. ;)

Quote: 've noticed that once I've passed a certain point in a scenario that is tied to a campaign the frame rates jump through the roof. The only thing I can attribute to this increase in workload is some type of landscape change.

End of qoute.

Exactly to myself. But even when frame rates is lower this not affect game playability to the level where is imposible to play. I've noticed this "feature" in 4th mission (German side), and after that the frame rate does not go under steadily-sh 20 frames per second... And I have not very fast machine...

When my framerates drop it's a slideshow. Meaning instead of fluid motion it jumps and skips video. One second your tank is at the bottm of a hill. Then 1/2 way up, then OVER the hill. Now if that isn't affecting playability I don't know what does.

In the meantime, waiting for a fix (I hope?), it's helpful to play the game at the 50% speed setting when you're really getting low framerates. Much fewer calculations going on etc.

I already removed the game from my hard drive. I'll come back in a year (maybe) and see if they've made any progress.

Shiftz: I understand what you are saying. I have SHIII and it works great. I refuse to buy SH5 because of the requirement to be online to play. If Ubisoft has that little trust in it's customers, then they can keep their games. I use the Grey Wolves mod for SHIII and the game looks and works great. Ubisoft is another company that expects the gamers to be the beta testers and the modders to make the sim right. Another big $$ sim that is loaded with bugs.

Sorry for being so new and griping so much, but I shelled out $45 for something that obviously ISN'T ready for normal gameplay. The graphics in this are real nice. But good graphics isn't a substitute for bad game play. One year to get it fixed? They need to shelve the new releases and get this thing fixed faster than that.

Have you played Close Combat: Cross of Iron? While the graphics aren't as spectacular, the gameplay is flawless.

And thanks for thr welcome. I wish it could be under better circumstances. ;)

We agree on SH5. What a mess. I'm also back to playing SH3 but I don't have the Grey Wolves mod. Where do I find that?

When my framerates drop it's a slideshow. Meaning instead of fluid motion it jumps and skips video. One second your tank is at the bottm of a hill. Then 1/2 way up, then OVER the hill. Now if that isn't affecting playability I don't know what does.

How do you get the frame rate to display on screen? I had that with Panzer Elite. Maybe still the best tank/panzer game ever but with the OstPak mod that I help work on from 2000 to 2005.