Is CMBB darker on the PC than on the Mac?

Just started with my new machine, and to see how it runs installed the CMBB demo.

ATI Radeon 9000 & a very crappy old monitor, until I get the LCD display later this week.

I find it is very dark - ALT-Tab out and back in seems to lighten it a bit. Giving high contrast, and upping Gamma values also helped with brightness, but makes the game look like a throwback to the multi-coloured world of CMBO before modding :D .

I looked at a comparison between a Soviet squad in Mac and PC, and while I think the PC does show things somewhat crisper (and shows some things I never saw on the downsampled Mac), it is too rich in colour, and quite dark.

I'll post some screenshots later, when I have figured out how to do it on the PC.

What do people find are the ideal settings for all this wonderful stuff you can do in the ATR settings menu on the PC? I read through the troubleshooting page, and disabling the Z-mask helped with game performance.

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sirocco:

The game is much brighter on my LCD than my CRT.

Well that is good news. I have a CRT screen on the Mac, so I did not think it would be that.

Are you connecting through VGA or DVI? </font>

An average gamma setting for Mac monitors is 1.8 gamma while that for an average PC is 2.5 gamma.

Thus, graphics that look OK on a PC will look pale and insipid on a Mac monitor and what looks correct on a Mac will be visibly too dark on a PC monitor.

You're seeing the darkside of the force ;)

- and the groggiest gamma monster link I could find:

About gamma correction

Try following this tutorial to see what you can achieve:

Gamma Settings

[ October 27, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Originally posted by Andreas:

I find it is very dark - ALT-Tab out and back in seems to lighten it a bit. Giving high contrast, and upping Gamma values also helped with brightness, but makes the game look like a throwback to the multi-coloured world of CMBO before modding :D .

I was very surprised when CMBB came out at how dark night scenarios are compared to those in CMBO. Units are almost black. Hmmm taking a look back at a CMBO night scenario, I don't remember things being that dark with my old Voodoo5. Oh well ... :(

I'll post some screenshots later, when I have figured out how to do it on the PC.
Hit Print-Screen, go out to the desktop, paste into an image proggie like Irfanview, save to the hard drive, and upload to your favorite website.

What do people find are the ideal settings for all this wonderful stuff you can do in the ATR settings menu on the PC? I read through the troubleshooting page, and disabling the Z-mask helped with game performance.
For the Radeon 8500/9000/9100/9200 series, you might try anisotropic filtering set at 16x. Antialiasing on these cards is too taxing at decent resolutions (can get real choppy), though it does help greatly with texture shimmer and moire in some ground textures like paved streets. And you might also find that end-game menus don't appear properly. And 'Performance' AA does funky things with the text.

Good luck with your new setup.

- Chris

Okay, got the LCD today, and it looks just cracking. I noticed that CM seems to brighten up the system when started, and maybe overly bright if ALT-Tabbed out.

Performance is very good, no text missing, and I do not like fog anyway. I am a very happy customer at the moment.