Rifle Grenades

LukeFF

It seems perplexing to me that soldiers with rifle grenade launchers will use said weapon at seemingly extreme ranges, at 300 meters or more. What type of doctrine governs the use of rifle grenades, and is that reflected in CMSF? It just doesn't seem right to see single rifle grenades being launched so far across the map.

LukeFF, the effective range of all NATO Under-slung Grenade Launchers is up to 350m for area targets (and they can easily reach 400m under the right conditions) and up to 150m for point targets. You usually aim using the standard ladder sights, that I can tell you that in the H&K AG36 it has the next scale: 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 and 350 metres. A qualified grenadier will definitely know how to use his weapon at distances of up to that limit.

Cheers,

Lomir

I've heard from many people who have used them that they're fairly easy to aim and have decent accuracy, not to mention it's pretty easy to bracket or walk the rounds onto a target (much like a mortar). I'm pretty sure this is modeled in CMSF, my grenadiers seem to hit far targets on the second or third grenade.

The 40mm grenades are also great for suppression even if they don't cause casualties.

Walking rounds onto a target seems to be only applicable to GMG's like the H&K, though. OP was talking about single-round UGLs, which do have a pretty lowly accuracy in-game at ranges above 150meters or so. As it should be since every shot has to be set up individually.

No, you can "walk" rounds from a M203/AG36, e.g. you fire a shot, it's short, you adjust up a bit to try to get the next one on target. You just can't do it as fast as with a GMG obviously. But UGLs are pretty accurate in skilled hands, they're "fudged" to be a bit more inaccurate than real accuracy as are almost all the weapons in CMSF (abstraction of statistical values in ther CMSF environment).

I don't think having to set up each shot individually really has anything to do with the accuracy of the shots. The fact that GMGs may have optics and fire a high velocity 40mm round from a supported and stabilized mount might have something to do with it. The high rate of fire just allows for quick adjustment and more rounds on target, not accuracy of the individual shots.

EDIT: I type slow :D

Sure he would, but he can't walk the next round closer like a GMG gunner could. He has to lower the rifle to reload...and when he raises it again, who knows where exactly it's pointing :).

Well, not exactly, but you do have a leaf sight and you should have a good idea of what you were aiming at and what your sight picture was when you fired. Not as quick and easy as a GMG, but not that hard either.

I guess that's really what I'm trying to say anyway, I'm just not coming from the right direction and too focused on just one aspect...I do realize that you aren't just shooting out into the blue with a UGL and that you can adjust! It's just not as easy as with a GMG.

Ryujin has wrapped it up in a nutshell as far as I'm concerned. Thank you :)

And I think we all agree that there is an innate imprecision involved with hand-held weapons at great ranges compared to mounted weapons. The human body vs. steel...