AA problem please help!

Ok, got a new Dell XP gen 2 laptop and a 7800GTX card for my desktop. The laptop uses:

NVIDIA® GeForceTM Go 6800 Ultra with PCI ExpressTM x16

...for the video card.

Laptop drivers tried are:

77.24 and 78.11 (current)

77.77 for the 7800GTX card

When I dont use AA I get 100 FPS

When I use 2x AA it drops to 20 FPS !!!!

Something is seriously wrong. Any ideas?

I should note I lose hardly any performance with up to 16x aniso filtering. It's only something to do with CMBB and AA that is not working correctly.

This is on both the laptop 6800 and the desktop 7800GTX.

More info:

Whenever any "non-3d" items are on the screen the FPS drops way down. Such as the box around a unit when you select a unit or there is text on the screen. When this is gone the FPS shoots back up again.

Or, when you get the info screen for a unit I can go from 80FPS with 8xs AA and 16x aniso to 8 FPS when this screen comes up!!

Adding AA and aniso doesn't really hurt my performance at all until I get this 2d bug kick in. This is on both my laptop and desktop computers!

Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks!

Jordan "AstroCat"

[ August 25, 2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: AstroCat ]

Which version of FRAPS are you using ? It's possible that the method that FRAPS is measuring with may not report very accurately with CM's 2D info displays. As for the 3D selection boxes, I wonder if this issue is somewhat similar to the ATI Radeons and some Z-buffer problems. With the Radeons it affected turn crunching, which seems to be a somewhat different problem here with the GeForce.

Have you used any other AA modes ? Quincux (or whatever the 6800/7800 series are offering between 2X and 4X) may probably get better, though possibly similar numbers ? Perhaps there is a supersampling bug in the drivers that is directly related to those particular cards.

I've experimented a lot and I'm sure there is some bug going on with AA and CMBB.

It must have something to do with the 2d elements on the screen. When you bring up the unit info screen the FPS can drop in to the single digits from say around 50 to 8 or 9!

I can reproduce this problem everytime across multiple computers and graphics cards.

I need to keep using "current" drivers so I'm not sure how to proceed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...