Smoke depletes arty?

JP76er

I downloaded & installed the corrected v1.21 "Semper Fi Syria" campaign & I'm now having a bug or problem where if I fire smoke from my arty assets, it depletes the general, personnel & armor ammo at the same time. I'm finding this in both the new campaign & other scenarios. Just reporting & looking for a fix.

Thanks.

I havent noticed that.But i noticed If you use all your general rounds then you wont be able to use smoke,it will say empty.Because of that I try to leave a little bit of ammo left for the Arty so I can call in smoke later, but it's tough to judge how much ammo will be used when fire support is requested.

Edit- now that i think about it,your right, i think even when i had a little general ammo left and i called in the smoke rounds,the general ammo did deplete itself and i was left with an Empty arty asset.Maybe it's the spotting rounds?

I have no idea if BFC are looking to change that.

It's been reported earlier: if you call in SMOKE, it magically changes ALL rounds available into SMOKE rounds. The reverse is not true: if you have some SMOKE rounds, but call in HE strikes, the HE will continue until depleted, but you will still have your SMOKE rounds left.

I haven't heard of any fixes.

Ken

It's been reported earlier: if you call in SMOKE, it magically changes ALL rounds available into SMOKE rounds. The reverse is not true: if you have some SMOKE rounds, but call in HE strikes, the HE will continue until depleted, but you will still have your SMOKE rounds left.

I haven't heard of any fixes.

Ken

Aren't the rounds marked in real life to avoid this? Have to fire the man in charge of my artillery assets. I have found since the inception of the game that if you fire all your HE rounds & deplete them; the smoke rounds are gone too. I haven't seen that changed. With the new glitch, it really impacts your play in whether you really want to fire a smokescreen or do you just not do it to save the HE for later in the game. Battlefront, any fix coming?

FYI, this is the answer Charles gave to this question sometimes back:

Artillery in CMSF is doled out in terms of rounds available in general, not of specific types. So if you use up all the "HE", then you've used up "everything". This is so we don't get weird gamey stuff like people shooting off smoke because "what the hell" it's all they have left. In real life the artillery batteries would not appreciate their time being wasted like that. :)

Think of it as how much artillery time your forces have been allotted more than the exact number of shells of each type.

So you just get so many rounds or artillery time allocated to you. You, as commander decide if you want to use it up as smoke, HE or AP.

FYI, this is the answer Charles gave to this question sometimes back:

So you just get so many rounds or artillery time allocated to you. You, as commander decide if you want to use it up as smoke, HE or AP.

Thanks much! That gives me a good sense of what the BF people are thinking. It makes sense & it will also make my game playing better. Have another factor to consider in planning my attack, which just adds more fun to the game.

Thanks Again!

Users of CMx1 will remember many such frivolous uses of artillery :D

When you think about it, a medium or heavy battery probably has hundreds, if not thousands, of shells available to it. The ammo restriction in the game is, therefore, both necessary and realistic since there's no way someone should have access to a couple thousand rounds of 155 just because he has an observer with a connection to a 155 battery.

As Charles said, in real life the restriction of fire support comes down to time. In real life this time is more flexibly allocated than within the game, however that's where necessary game constraints kick in so scenarios are actually fun to play instead of just watching artillery and/or air wipe out the enemy. If someone DOES want to do that, they are welcome to make scenarios that do just that ;)

Steve

If someone DOES want to do that, they are welcome to make scenarios that do just that ;)

That reminds me of a quick battle I played once on a small map where I was given loads of 155 arty and 6 or so planes with 2000lb jdams. I just did a few area targets on the other half of the map and won by enemy surrender after 2 turns. I don't remember what version it was at the time though.