Noob Questions

Firstly, what steps would I need to take to go online with this, as I have patched it to 1.2, and have the paradox version, but the fact that there are multiple versions, and some versions are 1.21 and such is boggling my tiny inferior brain!

Secondly, I like to play on the most realistic settings possible, it gives me a greater feeling of accomplishment and all that, but right now on iron and elite, my guys dont seem to radio spotted positions (I use command units as spotters as I assume they will be able to manipulate the chain of command more effectively). I assumed they would do it automatically, but thus far after 30 mins they still havent. Is there some sort of command or setting I need to put them on to get them to radio in? Because as things stand using my tanks as effective fire support is problematic.

Or do units radioing enemy positions never give the absolute position and type so at best to other units it always appears as the general enemy close symbol thing?

And lastly how do I stop my strikers retreating from innane threats without keeping them selected and mashing the cancel orders button? I know theyre scared but screw em :D Thus far keeping abrams behind them and telling them if they flee they die isnt having the desired results :D

Thanks for any answers.

You're a little harsh on your gear, Utb. Figure yourself due for a mutiny.

I'm curious - does the spotting spread relative to the equipment level of the unit? That is, a Stryker has the mobile computer system: does that mean that an item entered into the system (by another Stryker, say) appear for all the Strykers?

I know that the Abrams will communicate the presence of an enemy unit - but it generally only shows up as a "?" to units not in LOS and doesn't necessarily update immediately. So you can have an Abrams not in contact showing a "?" symbol a little way from the smoking hulk of a T72 taken out by the Abrams that first reported the enemy.

I guess the intelligence environment in real life is pretty messy - guys are just too busy to be entering data onto a computer (and then you have to hope they got it right). Or, in your battle, really, really slow.

I don't know how all of that works, as it's all done 'under the hood'. Generally speaking, BFC has done a lot of work with spotting. All I know, is it's darn accurate. And yes, all you will see is the ? denoting that a unit has been spotted there. Chain of command definitely is part of the equation as well. Costard is right, there is also a fog of war element involved. One major rule of warfare is that very few things will turn out as perfectly as you've planned it.

Your guys aren't suicidal. You're not commanding al qaida troops!

Or do units radioing enemy positions never give the absolute position and type so at best to other units it always appears as the general enemy close symbol thing?

no, units do never share an "absolute" contact. you see the "?" question mark counters. when you look closely you see bright ones and faded ones.

there is the key, through a bit of ovservation of the system you see it work.

the "bright" counters give a slight spotting bonus and these are shared. so as example you have 1 platoon with 2 squads. squad A and B. so squad A spots a enemy and gets into a firefight, squad B will get a "bright" questionmark counter in the area of the enemy no matter if squad B can see there at all, this takes time depending on many things. if they move into loss to the counter they get a spotting bonus. so i understood it through the countless explanations so far, by steve.

the "faded" counters are no longer recent they give no bonus at all.

Firstly, what steps would I need to take to go online with this, as I have patched it to 1.2, and have the paradox version, but the fact that there are multiple versions, and some versions are 1.21 and such is boggling my tiny inferior brain!

Secondly, I like to play on the most realistic settings possible, it gives me a greater feeling of accomplishment and all that, but right now on iron and elite, my guys dont seem to radio spotted positions (I use command units as spotters as I assume they will be able to manipulate the chain of command more effectively). I assumed they would do it automatically, but thus far after 30 mins they still havent. Is there some sort of command or setting I need to put them on to get them to radio in? Because as things stand using my tanks as effective fire support is problematic.

And lastly how do I stop my strikers retreating from innane threats without keeping them selected and mashing the cancel orders button? I know theyre scared but screw em :D Thus far keeping abrams behind them and telling them if they flee they die isnt having the desired results :D

Thanks for any answers.

1.21 is the latest version of the game. There are many "versions" of the game, and unless you see Paradox mentioned, that version isn't available yet.

I usually don't use the HQ units as spotters. Any information they have will go faster to the subordinate units, but if they are killed/scared/etc... you will lose the bit that's keeps the communication going between the subordinate units.

If you want information to pass around make sure everyone is in command (the relevant icons are all lit up) and then wait :). If you use a squad, the information will be first pass the HQ unit who then pass it on to the other units.

And as the previous posters have mentioned only (?).

Have fun!

Thanks for that, though I have to ask, how do I make units overwatch effectively if only the unit being fired on can see the enemy, and other units just ignore the tracers and such? Right now the only solution ive found is to micro my fingers off :D

On the syrian airport mission where you have to destroy the spec ops hq, how exactly do I do that? As I have hit the thing with every MGS shell and about 30 mins of constant JTACced apache airstrikes, and 1 heavy general point target mortar strike thusfar to no effect, no one I command is demo trained as far as I can see.

Stikkypixie:

....and unless you see Paradox mentioned, that version isn't available yet.

See the new announcement at the top of the board. Paradox has recently taken themselves out of the loop, but BFC has generously volunteered to handle the Paradox 1.21 patching. They should be providing a Paradox-compatible patch shortly.