Map Makeing

i am wanting to make a badass map for people to download and play but everytime i try making one it some how ends up in the garbage it dosent feel like a true map for people to play i got the objective type down pat but never the map i was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on making maps come to life

thank you

Hi cameron. The basics - water runs downhill, towns are built on roads, roads are built as flat as possible, bigger towns have better, bigger roads and more flats around for farming, particularly in river valleys. Clavicula Nox has it right - take a look at some maps. American Geographical Society had some good topographical maps of Afghanistan available - try there maybe?

Buildings can be tricky - but again, Google earth and changing the altitude of your viewpoint will give you good information.

Have you tried some different lighting? Time of day and shadows lend atmosphere too - and they're in the engine :cool:

Ultimately you'll have to submit the map for examination - don't see it as your perfect map, just one you've made. If people like the scenario they'll say so, but they'll tell you if they like the map.

The bottom line is Google Earth. I would start by going there first and zooming in as close as possible and finding where you want your battle to take place. Then hit your Print Screen button on your keyboard and you can paste it it into what photo editing software you use (you may have to just save it in Google Earth and import it into whatever photo editing program you use). I personally jump over to Photoshop and create a new project, hit paste and I have my map ready to be saved as a bmp file and dropped into my tactical, strategic, or operation map You now have a satellite map of where you will be building your scenario. Now you can alt-tab back in forth while you editing your map in the editor and create a very faithful recreation of the the original. Just use it as your frame work and you will find that you create a very realistic designed map that will make sense.

If I had to make a mental list of the things I over when I am finished with a scenario, I would say:

1) Elevation and Terrain: These will be the main factors affecting travel, LOS, and ultimately the effectiveness of damage in some cases. Terrain Just makes the make the map come alive. Truly do look at Google maps and just copy what you see. It will help you arrange your map logically. Subtle elevation changes can make a big difference and create cover for troops.

2)Flavor Objects: I can't say enough about using a lot of flavor objects. Towns have trash and junk in the Middle East all over the place. Show that with random junk. I recommends using the "Flavor Objects at a Glance", that is in the Repository. It show you all the variants of all the objects. Variation is the key to keeping things from looking too sterile. I still have no idea why they included air conditioners and atm's. Just pointless. I have never seen a scenario that use one(I am not saying there isn't, before anyone retorts). What a waste of objects in my opinion. Everything else is very useful. Many of them can be used very creatively to create the illusion of something else. Shelters can be used to make markets ans so on. Check out the "High Tension" British Scenario on the Repository, They make a whole market with various junk and items under the shelters.

3)Buildings: Make each building unique. Add balconies and vary design with roof and windows. Create battle damage and "garages". (Completey remove a wall in a small one story building.)

4)Vehicles:This may me just me but the Syrian Uncon trucks and cabs(why are all the Uncon HQ's cab drivers? Inquiring minds want to know.) make for great road block and general scenes of destruction and mayhem. Take a vehicle and set its status to burning and you have a smoking, burning mess that looks really cool at night when it illuminates buildings. I still wish I could trade in my atms's and air conditioners for a "civilian" vehicle that comes in multiple colors to help populate the map. Heck they don't even have to work. Just let them provide cover.

I am sure there are others too. Don't forget environmental factor like wind and temperature too. The best teacher is just digging into that editor and sticking with one map until you are happy. I have scenarios unfinished since when the game came out because I just keep coming back and make changes. It can be addicting. Enjoy!