Latest laptops & CM

Sivodsi

Hi there,

I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I'm just wondering how the latest ones handle huge scenarios like 'Counter attack at E Derjine" - my poor old Asus eventually choked when doing this as a PBEM.

Can laptops run such scenarios smoothly with the highest quality graphics, even when the chips are down and the crap flying about?

If so, what specs are necessary in a laptop to do this?

I'm particularly interested in those who have recently bought big name brands like Asus, Toshiba and HP.

Looking forward to your answers

my dell latitude E6500 runs the battle for Pooh on full graphics quite well in RT. A little slow down here and there, but nothing too much. WEGO should be even better.

It is a Core2duo 2.4 ghz IIRC, with 4GB ram and a nvidia QuadroNVS 160 (i think 256/512mb ddr3) and a 7200rpm hd.

Since this laptop is already 1+ year old I reckon you can get a better setup for a lot less then my one costed. You should have a Dedicated GPU in it and a decent cpu. 4+GB ram and a 7200 rpm HD might also help for larger maps.

my dell latitude E6500 runs the battle for Pooh on full graphics quite well in RT. A little slow down here and there, but nothing too much. WEGO should be even better.

It is a Core2duo 2.4 ghz IIRC, with 4GB ram and a nvidia QuadroNVS 160 (i think 256/512mb ddr3) and a 7200rpm hd.

Since this laptop is already 1+ year old I reckon you can get a better setup for a lot less then my one costed. You should have a Dedicated GPU in it and a decent cpu. 4+GB ram and a 7200 rpm HD might also help for larger maps.

My Vaio is nearly 5 years old and doesnt have any problems running any Sf scenarios. Although on the biger ones my troops tend to turn into stick men! However, if I zoom out, its still eminently playable.

My Vaio is nearly 5 years old and doesnt have any problems running any Sf scenarios. Although on the biger ones my troops tend to turn into stick men! However, if I zoom out, its still eminently playable.

Yeah, but I want it to run nice at full resolution, and I don't want no stickmen! I want the game to load quickly and don't want jerky hard-to-place-unit setup zones.

When I ran the El Derjine scenario as PBEM it was right at my 'puters limits. My Asus was 'not bad' when I bought it: centrino duo 1.8 Ghz, 2Gig of RAM, Nvidia Gforce go 7600 with 512 MB of graphics juice...

Alas, twas not sufficient: I could not do the El Derjine setup properly because I could not place units - felt like I was moving through sludge. After the disaster at setup it was playable until about midway when my opponent's infantry finally entered the combat zone and ordnance really started flying, and just as the game was getting interesting, after one entire hour of file-swapping gameplay (that consumed what, a couple of months?), before my reinforcements could come sailing in and save my ass, my computer failed to load it at all, forcing abandonment.

Don't want to have to do that again.

All scenarios should be playable to the death!

So, I'm interested in those with late model laptops, since that is what I'm going to buy, how does a huge scenario like 'Counter attack El Darjine' run? Is there any delay at the setup? When the Syrians pour forth in full cry and the crap really starts flying do you lose frames? No stick men at all?

If your laptop holds up under such strains, I'd love to hear what specs you have.

The system specs are correct but I added two more gigs of ram. The nice thing about this computer is the ability to upgrade the hardware. Everything I need is already in place just need to pop the hood and plug stuff in, tons of room. 'Counter attack at E Derjine' played out no problems with all the settings on SF maxed out. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately i'm not sure how pooh compares too El Derjine. (Almost) All laptops are upgradeable, even macs are however it takes a few more screwes :)

All the 'mobile' GPU's perform worse then their desktop counterparts. However getting a real GPU with dedicated vram onboard is heaps better then a simple chipset VGA card. Along with a new generation laptop a decent GPU will do probably anything you want with CMSF :)

Slightly different question: Anyone know what sort of laptop will run the game without too much sluggishness (but graphics looking awesome don't much matter)?

Looking to get a laptop mainly for interweb and email, but would be nice if could play CM for a bit more cash. I dunno if I want to shell out for a proper gaming laptop, though.

Slightly different question: Anyone know what sort of laptop will run the game without too much sluggishness (but graphics looking awesome don't much matter)?

Looking to get a laptop mainly for interweb and email, but would be nice if could play CM for a bit more cash. I dunno if I want to shell out for a proper gaming laptop, though.

I guess it depends to a certain extent on what size scenarios you play. My old Asus A8j (specs as given in my post above) does a decent job, but struggles on med-large and, as noted, fails on the biggest scenarios.

I haven't even bothered putting CMSF on my more modern HP mini netbook which has no graphics card, but 2 gig RAM - don't think it would even run small scenarios on CM, though it can manage the Empires of Steel demo.

You will probably be okay with a modern notebook which has a graphics chip, and these are not too expensive.

A quick search reveals the MSI CX600-049US 16-inch with specs better than my old Asus, and dedicated graphics chip for only $US600.

Not sure what the biggest CMSF scenario it could play though.

Ok, any opinions on HP dv7t:

* Intel® Core2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)

* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

* 2GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

* 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

* 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530

You are buying it second hand? This review is over a year old now.

Edit to add: the latest dv7t has the i7 quad core processor, I bet this machine would run CMSF smoothly.

• 2 months later...

Okay, finally got myself a new windows 7 lappie:

HP dv3 2222TX

Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8800 (2.66GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2)

Nvidia GeForce G 105M (NB 10M-GE1-S) with 512MB of dedicated video memory (64Mx16 DDR2 x 4 PCs)

4 GB RAM

7200 RPM Hard drive

My old XP machine is this:

Asus A8j

Centrino duo T2400 (1.83 GHz)

NVidia Gforce go 7600 (128 MB of dedicated memory)

2 GB RAM

I've only had time to use it on one PBEM file, but a comparison of load up times revealed that where the Asus took about 37 secs to load the file up, my new HP did it in 17 seconds (CM being the only application loaded, hand timed 3 or 4 times each).

So, the new computer is roughly twice as fast as the old one - slightly disappointing, but perhaps the performance improvements will show more when running larger scenarios than in just the load up times.