G3 powerbook frustration

Could you give a bit more info on your "old G3 powerbook" such as:

Version, memory, graphics card & VRAM

Memory allocation, Virtual memory on/off, OS version, resolution and resolution asked for and drivers .etc

Ta

Originally posted by mikeadams:

I can run CMBO on my old G3 powerbook, but neither of the newer games. I get a mesage that the resolution needs to be changed, but if I do it still has no effect. The game will proceed to the point where the map should appear, and then crashes. Anyone have a fix?

Pending revision when more information about the machine becomes available, but I would guess that the most likely problem is insufficient video support on the notebook. I would guess that the built-in graphics support just isn't sufficient for the newer games. Sorry.

I run CMBO and CMBB on my old PB G3 400MHz with 128Mb RAM. I believe the VRAM is only 8Mb on this model. I have no problems and it is at 1024 x 768 pixels. I have not tried CMAK as I have not received my copy yet.

One solution may be to firste delete the CMBB preference file in the Preference folder in your system folder. Then set the screen resolution to at least 800 x 600 (minimum needed for CMBB) and then start up CMBB. It seem that the first time CM starts up, it checks the present screen resolution and records it in its pref file. If you remove the file, then it resets the screen resolution again for the game when you start it up aagin.

Hope this helps.