Couple more things

rich12545

Couldn't stay away after all. So I started a new game. Largest map, large continents, 7 players, all ai players veteran. 1900-2030 ruleset (I always used the 1940 but thought a change would be nice). Got it all setup and pressed start. Got the ms gray window of death and the ensuing crash.

Went into windows explorer and moved both save games out. Started over with the same parameters and it went fine. So the problem occurs when the corrupted save files are there whether or not they are being accessed. That's kind of weird.

Game start, I'm finding I get two cities on a small island regardless of the large continents on setup. Wondering why?

After pressing end move, it takes a loooooong time for units to start moving.

And btw, where are the other maps? Only the world map is in the release edition.

Game start, I'm finding I get two cities on a small island regardless of the large continents on setup. Wondering why?

The random maps always start players on small islands. The reason for this is that I didn't want to start players on a continent, and have the size/value of the continent be the main determiner of who wins the game. I think this can be changed, especially if the continents are large enough for multiple people to start on each continent.

After pressing end move, it takes a loooooong time for units to start moving.

I noticed a problem with the AI system yesterday that it takes a long time for the AI to analyze the map at the beginning of each turn. Your turn replay doesn't begin until they finish analyzing the map. This will be fixed shortly.

And btw, where are the other maps? Only the world map is in the release edition.

One of the beta-testers made some really good maps. With his permission, I had added them to the installer. But, a few weeks back, he decided that he wanted to work on the maps some more and make them better before the release. So, he asked me to remove them from the install. I agreed, and figured he would upload them onto the game-server for people to download. I haven't seen his maps or scenarios there yet. So, that's the reason why some of the maps and scenarios were removed from the game. It's unfortunate, but I'm not going to include his maps in the install if he doesn't want them there.

Update: The maps have now been uploaded. Check out the Europe and Mediterranean maps by NormalDude.

Just a follow-up.

I had played maybe half a dozen turns on this game. Went to play some more and got that gray window again. This has to be it until you fix this. Hopefully soon. :-)

The small island start is a good idea, everybody starts pretty even, so long as the AI is worked on some more. Otherwise the human will have no problem winning every time.

Brit, I'm sure everyone appreciates your posts and are confident the fixes are coming. Also playing Armada 2526, with similar issues coming up, and have yet to hear from developer R.T. Smith. My guess is we never will.

Thanks again, and wishing you future success with this release.

I noticed a problem with the AI system yesterday that it takes a long time for the AI to analyze the map at the beginning of each turn. Your turn replay doesn't begin until they finish analyzing the map. This will be fixed shortly.

Pardon me for this silly question, but the AI does process their turns while the human player(s) does (do), right?

Pardon me for this silly question, but the AI does process their turns while the human player(s) does (do), right?

Generally yes. But, there was some intensive processing that could be done up-front each turn. I noticed that it would sometimes cause jumpy animation when I tried to process this information during a player's turn, so I moved some of the processing earlier.

Brit, I'm sure everyone appreciates your posts and are confident the fixes are coming. Also playing Armada 2526, with similar issues coming up, and have yet to hear from developer R.T. Smith. My guess is we never will.

Thanks again, and wishing you future success with this release.

Thanks. Speaking of which, I think we'll be doing an update to address some issues Sunday morning/afternoon (*Denver time).

Cool' date=' I'm in Highlands Ranch. We ought to get together some day. I'd like to chat with you about the game and your experience with building a game from scratch. I'm very interested in tackling this someday myself.[/quote']

Sure. I'd be cool with that.