Brit 7th Scenario - any ideas?

Hi Guys,

Have been doing well with the Brit campaign so far - at least for a newbie. But looking at Scenario 7 - the Police Station scenario - I just can't think of a viable plan. Looks like a suicide mission to me. And so, without asking for spoilers, I just wondered if anyone had any hints or ideas? I mean, the map is full of buildings, any of which could be hiding enemies. There's no decent LOS and if you task your Friendly Militiamen to move, chances are they'll get slotted - something you're tasked to avoid. As for the QRF - they've seemingly got to negotiate a series of defiles in order to get to the Police Station. Short of flattening the place with off-map fire missions, I'm just not sure how to proceed. The only other idea that occurs to me, is to ignore the bit about getting the QRF to the Police Station quickly in favour of establishing a solid base of fire at the corner of the map where the QRF enters. Then, work up to the Police Station house by house. But is that feasible? Would there be enough time? In previous scenarios I've been able to form a plan, but now I feel really stuck. I mean, you're supposed to achieve the scenario objectives without incurring casualties!

There are quite a few possible approaches, I'll avoid spoilers, so far now just some suggestions.

First off there needs to be a good plan to defend the police station until help arrives, remember you just need to buy time and preserve your force, not destroy the enemy with the troops at the police station. Try to establish short range kill zones on the approaches to the station and use positions that are ideally not exposed to anyone outside the kill zone.

You then need to figure out just how fast you need to get the QRF to the station and how you can best help them. For example warriors are good at covering down long streets. So you could create supporting kill zones down the streets to keep the enemy from closing with the station and you don't have drive all the way to the station, just secure part of the street. From there you can use the other warriors and infantry to move down to the station if need be.

The militia have some uses, use them to cover their starting area and watch roads/intersections. If you start to secure an area you can bring them out to support the brits.

Not that I scored a victory when I played this mission, but...

*** FILMED IN SPOILER-VISION! ***

As for the police station, keep the troopsalready there inside the building so that the uncons who charge in through the hole in the wall get engaged from two sides at point blank range. That should keep the police station secure.

Other than, though... yeah, not only are uncons everywhere, but they have at least one ATGM and plenty of RPGs. :-/

well this is a simple mission wich looks verry complicated at first.

all i did was to choose a route, take the milita and reconoiter(sp?) this rout. place them around the points where the vehicles will need to slow down and where road junctions are. there the vehicles are in danger. on the long straights with FAST command you are mostly untouchable becouse till something took aim the vehicle is out of sight again.

also watch for roadblocks too ;)

when the brits arive you simply speed em with fast and quick to the police station, build up a perimeter and wait a few minutes, kill some badies and after that i hit cease fire and had a minor or tactical victory with just some militia lost.

Thought I'd add a postscript:

I played through the scenario and tried to follow the advice given. I moved my Militiamen cautiously, building-by-building, until they were situated at intersections commanding the approaches to the Police Station. I put a spotter on the roof of the Police Station, in case fire support became available. I got a Militia team to secure the QRF entry point. When the QRF arrived I moved the vehicles onto the waste ground and began suppressing buildings. I dismounted my Inf. and put them in buildings. After shooting up the buildings a good deal, I began moving my Militia and Inf. up closer to the Police Station. As reinforcements arrived, I pushed them towards the Police Station too. By now, I had no positive enemy contacts - only a few question marks.

OK, so I now placed my vehicles at the entrances to streets leading up to the Police Station - I pumped suppressive fire down the streets and into buildings at the far end of these streets. Now my Militia are past the Mosque and commanding the approaches to the Police Station.

When the coast seemed clear, I mounted my Inf. and sped the vehicles up to the Police Station. I got three vehicles up to the Police Station and one on the Crossroads. I got my Inf. into the Police Station under cover of smoke.

But the result was a Minor Defeat. Although I had reached both Police Station and Crossroads and managed to reinforce the garrison, I got 'Failed' next to 'Occupy Police Station/Crossroads.' Not sure why.

A couple of other points:

1. My spotters could not get any LOS for mortars and off-map fire. Even when on roofs, these spotters could not get LOS at all - so platoon mortars and off-map fire could not be used at all.

2. Even though I recced the approaches to the Police Station, as soon as my vehicles arrived, they were caught in a hail of fire and enemy contacts appeared out of nowhere, including RPG and MG teams - some were even in buildings occupied by my militiamen.

3. At one point, two enemy fighters walked through heavy suppressive fire, right up to the Police Station - defended by several Inf. teams and 4 vehicles - and immobilised one of my vehicles. While impressive, I was puzzled - are they suicide bombers or what?

All in all, I was puzzled by this mission and am not sure it's winnable!

It certainly is winnable, though it is a bit strange you didn't get credit for the occupy objective. Maybe I'll to play it and make an AAR when I get time.

Anyway it sounds like you were on the right track but maybe moved the reinforcements in to hastily.

Also I don't think I used the mortars either, but in hindsight some smoke might have been useful on dangerous streets.

'Occupy' is a misnomer for this scenario. 'Clear' or 'Secure' is the proper term as in Clear or Secure the police station and crossroads. Check the green objective zone colored area and ensure that no enemy are in the green area.

I had similar problems until I figured out that the reason I was getting the mission loss was because enemy forces were in the green zone. That means you will have to push into the buildings in the green zone and sweep them to ensure that no hostiles are holed up in some corner.

'Occupy' is a misnomer for this scenario. 'Clear' or 'Secure' is the proper term as in Clear or Secure the police station and crossroads.

Well, "occupy" is correct in as far as that is the *game* term for what you are requried to do to the objective.

OK, I think that it's my fault for not looking deeply enough into the game/scenario requirements. As Moon observed in a related post I made, I should have "RTFM"! I think I got confused between "Touching" and "Occupying" an objective. In this scenario, I assumed that, with units placed on the objective, I was occupying it - I didn't realise that more needed to be done. This was my lack of knowledge (both game and military). But everything is OK - the forum worked as a knowledge base and I soon discovered what I needed to know. Thanks to all for the input.