Unit Portraits Mod For Brits Yet?

I looked at the repository and only found one, a unit symbols mod, not what I'm looking for. Is there anymore out there? I checked the GaJ site briefly but didn't find any. Did anybody by any chance update a previous unit portrait mod to include the Brits?

Umm, I have both, how does it work?

The "Unit Emblems" mod is just a collection of images that can be used in place of the unit portrait image.

For instance, if you like the British "Rifles" battalion, their emblem can be found in the following folder: 3rd Mechanised Division -> 1st Mechanised Brigade -> 4th Battalion, The Rifles. The "Rifles" emblem is kind of like a horn with a crown above on a green background. The image file is named "portrait british mech infantry". There are actually two. One has "_ALT" for alternative at the end of its name. If you prefer this one, just remember to delete the "_ALT" part of the name before using it.

Create a folder called "Z" in your CM:SF "Data" folder and drop the file in there. Now, next time you are playing a scenario with a British mechanised infantry unit in it, this emblem will show where the soldier "face" portrait image used to show (extreme left of control panel).

Of course, if you think the "Rifles" battalion is really infantry rather than mechanised infantry, just rename the image to "portrait british infantry" and it will show for infantry battalions instead.

There are also images named things like "british blue armoured infantry" or "british blue mechanised infantry". If you drop these in your "Z" folder, it changes the emblem to the right of the unit portrait which is designed to show what type of unit the unit is. If you want to use it when playing "Red" instead of "Blue", just rename it to something like "british red armoured infantry".

I think that just about covers it. Experiment and see what happens. You might find you prefer to see a human face portrait rather than a bit of coloured cloth - or you might find the emblems do it for you more than a rather generic looking human head and shoulders. Just remember that each time you want a different unit emblem to be in the game you will have to copy a new image into your Z folder and overwrite the previous one. That's where the "Mod Manager" utility will be really handy as it will allow you to keep all the emblems in a separate folder somewhere and swap them in and out very quickly.

The "Rifles" emblem is kind of like a horn with a crown above on a green background.

Yes a bugle horn surmounted by St Edward's Crown.

But as you say a bit unusual for a Rifle Bn, who pride themselves on the speed of their march (their "quick time" is equivalent to "double time" for others - bit like the Gurkha's) to be mech. :)

I think that just about covers it. Experiment and see what happens. You might find you prefer to see a human face portrait rather than a bit of coloured cloth - or you might find the emblems do it for you more than a rather generic looking human head and shoulders. Just remember that each time you want a different unit emblem to be in the game you will have to copy a new image into your Z folder and overwrite the previous one. That's where the "Mod Manager" utility will be really handy as it will allow you to keep all the emblems in a separate folder somewhere and swap them in and out very quickly.

Thank you very much.

Although I feel like I'm again missing something with the back and forth about the Rifles being mech or not...?

Thank you very much.

Although I feel like I'm again missing something with the back and forth about the Rifles being mech or not...?

I see from your profile you are from the USA, so you may not have heard of "The Rifles".

Have you ever seen a Napoleonic Wars historical drama series starring Sean Bean called "Sharpe"? The series follows the exploits of an officer in "The Rifles" during the "Peninsular War". The regiment was an elite experimental unit of hand picked "chosen men" who were all trained to operate as skirmishers using rifles rather than muskets - a relatively new invention at that time. As such, the regiment's lineage is the epitomy of the "light infantry" role, so it's a bit strange to see them being referred to as mechanised infantry.

Having said that, there are several battalions in the regiment and it looks like the 4th battalion is actually designated as mechanised, as shown in this wikipedia article:

The Rifles

You learn something every day, as they say!

Yup, that was the one I was referring to. It does look nice, but I just prefer seeing a facial pic of the grunts/crewmen besides those symbols.

Something like this is what I'm thinking of: http://cmsfmods.heroku.com/mods/4340/details

You can still keep the potraits. Only include the branch pictures (usa blue armor, usa blue heavy infantry, etc.), rather than include potraits (potrait usa armor, portrait usa heavy infantry). The result looks like this:

divisioninsignia.jpg

Personally, I like it. I just need to figure out a way to either switch mods out fast or tie certain mods to certain scenarios/campaigns so I could have play different scenarios and have different units in all of them.

I see from your profile you are from the USA, so you may not have heard of "The Rifles".

Have you ever seen a Napoleonic Wars historical drama series starring Sean Bean called "Sharpe"? The series follows the exploits of an officer in "The Rifles" during the "Peninsular War". The regiment was an elite experimental unit of hand picked "chosen men" who were all trained to operate as skirmishers using rifles rather than muskets - a relatively new invention at that time. As such, the regiment's lineage is the epitomy of the "light infantry" role, so it's a bit strange to see them being referred to as mechanised infantry.

Having said that, there are several battalions in the regiment and it looks like the 4th battalion is actually designated as mechanised, as shown in this wikipedia article:

The Rifles

You learn something every day, as they say!

I see. About the closest I came to study of that period was reading Rifleman Dodd by C.S. Forester for a 7th grade book report. I recall it being quite good and the main character being quite the Rambo-esqe badass.

Personally, I like it. I just need to figure out a way to either switch mods out fast or tie certain mods to certain scenarios/campaigns so I could have play different scenarios and have different units in all of them.

"zBee13CMSFModManager_by_theFightingSeabee.zip" is your friend. :)

Search the repository for either "zBee13CMSFModManager", "z-Bee 1.3 CMSF Mod Manager" or "theFightingSeabee"

It basically lets you dump all your mods in one place and then setup which modes you want running for what scenario.

Just go into it first, turn on the mods you need (some can be locked on as "essential") and then launch CM:SF and load your campaign / scenario.

It also lets you keep all your mods in one place.

So for example I have about 8 copies installed (base game, USMC, UK, various Beta's etc).

Instead of a "z" Folder in each and installing 8 copies of every mod, I just have them all in one directory and then use z-Bee 1.3 CMSF Mod Manager to determine which ones are launched with which copies.

"zBee13CMSFModManager_by_theFightingSeabee.zip" is your friend. :)

Search the repository for either "zBee13CMSFModManager", "z-Bee 1.3 CMSF Mod Manager" or "theFightingSeabee"

Yeah, I have it.

It basically lets you dump all your mods in one place and then setup which modes you want running for what scenario.

Just go into it first, turn on the mods you need (some can be locked on as "essential") and then launch CM:SF and load your campaign / scenario.

It also lets you keep all your mods in one place.

So for example I have about 8 copies installed (base game, USMC, UK, various Beta's etc).

Instead of a "z" Folder in each and installing 8 copies of every mod, I just have them all in one directory and then use z-Bee 1.3 CMSF Mod Manager to determine which ones are launched with which copies.

Thank you, just what I was trying to figure out.